Population: 29,206,997 (Source: 2012 U.S. Census)
Major Cities: Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso
Borders: New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mexico, Gulf of Mexico
Gross Domestic Product (GDP): $1,397,369 million (2012 U.S. Department of Commerce)
Agriculture including cattle, sheep, goats, cotton, grains, and fishing
Oil, natural gas, petroleum products, cement, energy, chemicals, and tourism
How Texas got its name: The name Texas comes from the Caddo Native American word tejas which means friends.
Click on map for larger view
Texas State Symbols
State Nickname: Lone Star State
State Slogan: It's Like a Whole Other Country (this is used only in domestic advertising)
State Motto: Friendship
State flower: Bluebonnet
State bird: Mockingbird
State fish: Guadalupe bass
State tree: Pecan
State mammal: Armadillo, Texas Longhorn, Mexican free-tailed bat
State foods: Chili, Pecan, Jalapeno, Strudel, Tortilla chips and Salsa
Becoming a State
Date admitted: Monday, December 29, 1845
Number admitted: 28
Prior Name: Republic of Texas
Postal Abbreviation: TX
The Geography of Texas
Total Size: 261,797 sq. miles (source: 2003 Census)
Geographical Low Point: Gulf of Mexico at Sea Level (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Geographical High Point: Guadalupe Peak at 8,749 feet, located in the county/subdivision of Culberson (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Central Point: Located in McCulloch County approx. 15 miles northeast of Brady (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Counties: 254 (source: National Association of Counties)
Bodies of Water: Gulf of Mexico, Rio Grande River, Pecos River, Red River, Colorado River, Brazos River, Toledo Bend Reservoir
- Drew Brees - Professional football player
- Kelly Clarkson - Singer and American Idol winner
- Dwight D. Eisenhower- The 34th President of the United States and WWII general
- Selena Gomez - Actress and singer
- Howard Hughes - Businessman and aviator
- Lyndon B. Johnson - The 36th President of the United States
- Beyonce Knowles - Singer and actress
- Tom Landry - Legendary football coach
- Steve Martin - Comedian and actor
- Sandra Day O'Connor - First woman U.S. Supreme Court Justice
- Adrian Peterson - Professional football player
- Dan Rather - News Anchor
- Kenny Rogers - Country music singer
- Nolan Ryan - Professional baseball player
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias - Track and field athlete
- The name Texas comes from the word 'tejas' meaning 'friends' or 'allies'.
- Austin, Texas is called the 'Live Music Capital of the World'.
- The King Ranch in Texas is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
- Bracken cave has the single largest concentration of mammals in the world with a population of over 20 million bats!
- The name the Lone Star State comes from the single star on the Texas flag. It symbolized Texas' struggle for independence.
- El Paso, Texas is closer to the border of California than it is to Dallas, Texas. That's how big Texas is!
- Texas has been a member of six different nations including Spain, Mexico, France, the Republic of Texas, the Confederate States, and the USA.
- Dr Pepper was invented in Waco, Tx.
- The Dallas-Fort Worth area has a larger population than 39 US States.
- Presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower and Lyndon B. Johnson were born in Texas.
Professional Sports Teams
- Dallas Cowboys - NFL (football)
- Dallas Mavericks - NBA (basketball)
- Dallas Wings - WNBA (basketball)
- Dallas Stars - NHL (hockey)
- FC Dallas - MLS (soccer)
- Houston Astros - MLB (baseball)
- Houston Dynamo - MLS (soccer)
- Houston Rockets - NBA (basketball)
- Houston Texans - NFL (football)
- San Antonio Spurs - NBA (basketball)
- Texas Rangers - MLB (baseball)
Geography >> US States>> Texas History
For state symbols, flag, maps, geography, and fun facts: