Capital: Oklahoma City
Population: 3,943,079 (Source: 2012 U.S. Census)
Major Cities: Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Norman, Broken Arrow, Lawton, Edmond
Borders: Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas
Gross Domestic Product (GDP): $160,953 million (2012 U.S. Department of Commerce)
Agriculture including grains, cattle, dairy products, and cotton
Natural gas, oil, petroleum products, machinery, aircraft parts, electronic equipment, and food products
How Oklahoma got its name: The name Oklahoma comes from two words in the Choctaw Indian language: okla, which means people, and humma, which means red.
Click on map for larger view
Oklahoma State Symbols
State Nickname: Sooner State
State Slogan: Native America; also on its license plate
State Motto: Labor omnia vincit (Labor conquers all things)
State flower: Oklahoma Rose
State bird: Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
State fish: White bass
State tree: Redbud
State mammal: Bison, Common Raccoon
State foods: Barbecued Pork, Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy, Grits, Fried Okra, Pecan Pie
Becoming a State
Date admitted: Saturday, November 16, 1907
Number admitted: 46
Prior Name: Oklahoma Territory & Indian Territory
Postal Abbreviation: OK
The Geography of Oklahoma
Total Size: 68,667 sq. miles (source: 2003 Census)
Geographical Low Point: Little River at 289 feet, located in the county/subdivision of McCurtain (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Geographical High Point: Black Mesa at 4,973 feet, located in the county/subdivision of Cimarron (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Central Point: Located in Oklahoma County approx. 8 miles north of Oklahoma City (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Counties: 77 (source: National Association of Counties)
Bodies of Water: Lake Texoma, Eufaula Lake, Grand Lake of the Cherokees, Red River, Arkansas River, Canadian River
- Johnny Bench - Professional baseball player
- Vince Gill - Country music singer and songwriter
- Ron Howard - Actor and movie director
- Toby Keith - Country music singer and songwriter
- Mickey Mantle - Professional baseball player
- Reba McEntire - Country music singer
- Dr. Phil McGraw - Talk show host
- Chuck Norris - Actor and martial arts expert
- Brad Pitt - Actor
- Maria Tallchief - Ballet dancer
- Jim Thorpe - Athlete and Olympic medalist
- Carrie Underwood - Singer and American Idol winner
- Sam Walton - Founder of Walmart stores
- Oklahoma has the largest population of Native Americans of any state.
- The name Oklahoma means 'red people'.
- Cimarron County in Oklahoma borders 5 states. More states than any other US county.
- The parking meter was invented in Oklahoma.
- The name Sooner State comes from people who tried to sneak into Oklahoma and make land claims 'sooner' than they were allowed.
- Oklahoma! Is the name of a famous 1943 musical.
- Many American Indian tribes were forced to move to Oklahoma including the Cherokee, Seminole, Choctaw, Chickasaw, and Creek peoples.
- The first shopping cart was invented by Sylvan Goldman, owner of the Piggly Wiggly supermarket chain.
- The National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum is located in Oklahoma City.
- The tribal capital of the Cherokee Nation is located in Tahlequah.
Professional Sports Teams
- Oklahoma City Thunder - NBA (basketball)
- Tulsa Shock - WNBA (basketball)
Geography >> US States>> Oklahoma History
For state symbols, flag, maps, geography, and fun facts: