Population: 19,542,209 (Source: 2012 U.S. Census)
Major Cities: New York City, Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, Syracuse, Albany
Borders: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island (maritime), Canada, Atlantic Ocean
Gross Domestic Product (GDP): $1,205,930 million (2012 U.S. Department of Commerce)
Agriculture including apples, grapes, wine, milk, and cheese
Finance, communications, clothing and apparel, fashion, computers, electronics, and tourism
How New York got its name: When the English took over the land from the Dutch they named it New York in honor of the Duke of York and the city of York in England.
Click on map for larger view
New York State Symbols
State Nickname: Empire State
State Slogan: I Love New York; also its state song, The Empire State (on highway welcome signs)
State Motto: Excelsior (Ever upward)
State flower: Rose
State bird: Bluebird
State fish: Brook trout (fresh water), Striped bass (salt water)
State tree: Sugar Maple
State mammal: Beaver
State foods: Apple Muffin, Apple
Becoming a State
Date admitted: Saturday, July 26, 1788
Number admitted: 11
Prior Name: Province of New York, then sovereign state in Confederation
Postal Abbreviation: NY
The Geography of New York
Total Size: 47,214 sq. miles (source: 2003 Census)
Geographical Low Point: Atlantic Ocean at Sea Level (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Geographical High Point: Mt. Marcy at 5,344 feet, located in the county/subdivision of Essex (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Central Point: Located in Madison County approx. 12 miles south of Oneida and 26 miles southwest of Utica (source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Counties: 58 (source: National Association of Counties)
Bodies of Water: Atlantic Ocean, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake Champlain, Hudson River
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Basketball player
- Christina Aguilera - Pop singer
- Woody Allen - Actor and director
- Humphrey Bogart - Actor
- Mariah Carey - Singer
- Sean 'puffy' Combs - Rapper and producer
- Tom Cruise - Actor
- Robert de Niro - Actor
- Millard Fillmore - The 13th President of the United States
- Lou Gehrig - Baseball Player
- George Gershwin - Songwriter
- Michael Jordan - Basketball player
- Matt Lauer - Talk show host
- Ralph Lauren - Fashion designer
- Jay Leno - Talk show host
- Billy the Kid - Notorious wild west criminal
- Colin Powell - First African-American Secretary of State
- Franklin D. Roosevelt - The 32nd President of the United States
- Theodore Roosevelt - The 26th President of the United States
- Jonas Salk - Discovered the polio vaccine
- Adam Sandler - Comedian and actor
- Donald Trump - Business leader
- Sojourner Truth - Civil rights activist
- Martin Van Buren - The 8th President of the United States
- The headquarters of the United Nations is in New York City.
- The New York City Subway is the largest subway system in the world. It has 722 miles of track.
- Taxi cabs are yellow because the man who started the Yellow Cab company read that yellow is the easiest color to spot.
- The index finger of the Statue of Liberty is 8 feet long.
- The state was named by the English in honor of the Duke of York, who later became King James II.
- Peter Minuit purchased the island of Manhattan from the natives for around $24.
- New York City was the capital of the United States from 1785 to 1790.
- One World Trade Center is the tallest building in the U.S. It is 1,776 feet tall--the year America got its independence.
- France donated the Statue of Liberty to the US in 1886.
- The first pizzeria in the US was opened in New York City in 1895.
- The Empire State Building in New York City is 1,453 feet tall. It was named as one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World.
Professional Sports Teams
Note: the New York Giants and New York Jets play in New Jersey.
- Buffalo Bills - NFL (football)
- New York Mets - MLB (baseball)
- New York Yankees - MLB (baseball)
- Buffalo Sabres - NHL (hockey)
- New York Rangers - NHL (hockey)
- New York Islanders - NHL (hockey)
- New York Liberty - WNBA (basketball)
- Brooklyn Nets - NBA (basketball)
- New York Knicks - NBA (basketball)
Geography >> US States>> New York History
For state symbols, flag, maps, geography, and fun facts: