- Occupation: Hockey Player
- Born: August 7, 1987 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Nickname: Sid the Kid, The Next One
- Best known for: Leading the Pittsburgh Penguins to two Stanley Cup championships
Sidney Crosby is one of the best players in all of hockey. He plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL where he was the leagues youngest ever MVP in just his second year. His nickname is "Sid the Kid". He is 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighs 195 pounds, and wears number 87.
Where did Sidney grow up?
Sidney Crosby was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada
on August 7, 1987. He grew up in nearby Cole Harbour with his younger sister Taylor. His dad was a goalie when he was younger and got Sidney into hockey at a young age. Sidney quickly became a local celebrity due to his amazing skills. He made best friends with Jackson Johnson, another future NHL player, at a young age. Crosby's rise to fame in the hockey world continued and the 2005 NHL draft was sometimes called the Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes.
The Sidney Crosby Draft
Sidney was drafted as the number 1 pick by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2005 NHL draft. He was the prize of the draft which was decided by lottery as the previous NHL season was cancelled due to a player lockout. Crosby's childhood friend, Jackson Johnson, was drafted 3rd overall.
Sidney Crosby's NHL Career
Crosby's NHL career has lived up to every bit of the hype. He had a great rookie season and was the youngest player ever to score 100 points in a season. There was another great rookie that season too, however, Alex Ovechkin who won the Rookie of the Year Award.
Sidney continued to improve and make his mark in the NHL in the coming years. In his second season he was selected to the NHL All-Star game and won the Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL MVP. His third season he led the Penguins to the Stanley Cup finals only to lose to the Detroit Red Wings. But it was the 2008-2009 season when Crosby finally achieved the pinnacle of success by defeating the Detroit Red Wings and winning the Stanley Cup. He once again led the Penguins to the Stanley Cup championship in 2016.
Sidney Crosby also played on the Canadian Olympic ice hockey team. He helped the team win the 2010 Gold Medal scoring the winning goal in overtime against the United States in the Gold Medal game.
Fun Facts about Sidney Crosby
Other Sports Legend's Biographies:
- When Sidney first moved to Pittsburgh he lived with the Mario Lemieux family for 5 years until he purchased his own house.
- He was a straight-A student in school.
- His middle name is Patrick.
- He was on Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People list in 2007.
- He wears the number 87 because it was the year he was born.
- Crosby was the youngest team captain in NHL history.