Biographies of Scientists and Inventors
Types of Scientists
Back to Biographies
Biographies for Kids
Scientists and Inventors
Scientists study the world around us using the scientific method. They perform experiments to find out how nature works. While we often talk about a person being a "scientist", there are actually many different types of scientists. This is because most scientists study and become experts in a specific field of science.
There are literally hundreds of scientific fields of study. We will just list a few of the types of scientists here:
What is the difference between a scientist and an inventor?
- Astronomer - Studies the planets, stars, and galaxies.
- Botanist - Studies plant life.
- Chemist - Studies chemistry and the behavior, properties, and composition of matter.
- Cytologist - Studies cells.
- Ecologist - Studies the relationship between living organisms and the environment.
- Entomologist - Studies insects.
- Geneticist - Studies genes, DNA, and the hereditary characteristics of living organisms.
- Geologist - Studies the properties of matter that makes up Earth as well as the forces that shaped it.
- Marine biologist - Studies the living organisms that live in the ocean and other bodies of water.
- Microbiologist - Studies microscopic life forms such as bacteria and protists.
- Meteorologist - Studies the Earth's atmosphere including the weather.
- Nuclear physicist - Studies the interactions and make up of the atom.
- Ornithologist - Studies birds.
- Paleontologist - Studies prehistoric life and fossils including dinosaurs.
- Pathologist - Studies diseases caused by pathogens such as bacteria and viruses.
- Seismologist - Studies earthquakes and the movements of the Earth's crust.
- Zoologist - Studies animals.
In general terms a scientist is a person who studies nature and makes theories and discoveries as to how nature works using the scientific method. An inventor takes the laws and theories of science and puts them to practical use by humans. Many people are both scientists and inventors. For example, Isaac Newton was a scientist when he wrote about the theory of gravity, but he was also an inventor when he made the first working reflecting telescope.
Try our Scientists and Inventors Crossword Puzzle
or word search
Back to Biographies for Kids
Back to Science for Kids