Usain Bolt Biography
Back to Sports
Back to Track and Field
Back to Biographies
Usain Bolt is currently considered by many people to be the fastest human being who is living or who has ever lived. He currently holds the world records for both the 100m and 200m as well as shares the 4x100m relay world record with Jamaican teammates Yohan Blake, Nesta Carter, and Michael Frater. His surname, or last name, is very fitting of the world's fastest man because the word "bolt" is often associated with lightning, which symbolizes speed.
Where did Usain Bolt grow up?
Usain St. Leo Bolt was born on August 21st, 1986 in Trelawny, Jamaica. He grew up loving and appreciating sports and was always thinking about them. In high school, he decided to shift his focus from cricket to track and field. He captured numerous championships, gold medals, and world records at the junior track and field level which caught the attention of the rest of the world.
How did Usain Bolt rise to fame?
Although the beginning of his professional career was plagued with injuries, Usain Bolt still managed to compete and even contend in most competitions. The turning point of his career was when he broke the 200m Jamaican record with a time of 19.75 seconds. He soon went on to break the 100m world record with a time of 9.72 seconds.
How did Usain Bolt do at the Olympics?
Usain Bolt's career is defined by his performances at the Olympics. At the Beijing 2008 Olympics, he broke his previous world best time in the 100m with a time of 9.69 seconds as well as broke the 200m world record with a time of 19.30 seconds.
What about at the London 2012 Olympics?
Usain Bolt successfully defended his titles in both the 100m and 200m as well as broke the 4x100m relay world record with Jamaican teammates Yohan Blake, Nesta Carter, and Michael Frater with a time of 36.84 seconds.
Just how many gold medals and world records does Usain Bolt currently have?
Here is a list of all of the gold medals and world records that Usian Bolt had as of August 2014:
- 100m world record - 9.58 seconds
- 200m world record - 19.19 seconds
- 4x100m relay world record - 36.84 seconds
- Six Olympic Gold Medals
- Five IAAF World Championship Gold Medals
- One World Junior Championship Gold Medal
Fun Facts about Usain Bolt
- As a child, Usain Bolt showed an interest in playing cricket and football (in America "soccer"). He has also shown an interest in playing both sports professionally today.
- Usain Bolt's first world record breaking performance in the 100m was preceded by a very strong lighting storm.
- Usain Bolt has broken both the 100m world record and the 4x100m world record three times and has broken the 200m world record twice.
- Usain Bolt has appeared as a special guest on two Saturday Night Live skits.
- Usain Bolt has written three autobiographies.
- Usain Bolt partnered with a mobile gaming company to make his own themed mobile game simply called Bolt! in which players control him and fight pirates.
- At the Beijing 2008 Olympics, during the final seconds of the 100m event, Usain Bolt slowed down considerably to start celebrating his inevitable gold medal finish, unaware that he was on pace for approximately a 9.55 second 100m time. One of his shoes was also untied.
|Track and Field: |
Dale Earnhardt Jr.