Annika Sorenstam Biography
Back to Sports
Back to Golf
Back to Biographies
Annika Sorenstam is one of the greatest women's golfers of all time. No matter what list of records you look at, whether tournament wins, scoring records, or money winnings, you will find Annika at or near the top.
Where did Annika Sorenstam grow up?
Annika was born in Bro, Sweden which is near Stockholm on October 9, 1970. She grew up in a family that loved sports. Annika played tennis, football (soccer), and was an excellent skier. The first sport she focused on competitively was tennis. Both Annika and her sister, Charlotta, played tennis. Annika rose as high as 12th in the Swedish Junior rankings before she got frustrated with the game and quit. That's when she decided to pursue golf.
Did Annika go to college?
As Annika's golf game improved, she began to be noticed. She got a scholarship to play at the University of Arizona. Her first year there she won the individual NCAA championship. She was the first freshman and the first foreigner to do so. She was also Co-National Player of the Year.
Annika and the LPGA
Annika started off great in the LPGA and never looked back. Her rookie year she had three top 10 finishes including a tie for second in the British Open. She won the LPGA Rookie of the Year award. From there Annika went on to become the greatest LPGA golfer in history. At the time she retired she had tour winnings of $22 million. This was $8 million more than the next closest golfer.
Highlights of Annika's Golf Career
- 72 LPGA wins including 10 majors and 3 US Opens
- The record for the lowest golf score in round (59)
- The lowest scoring average ever for one season (68.69)
- She won the LPGA player of the year 8 times
- Won the Vare Trophy for the lowest average score for the season 6 times
- Inducted into the Women's Golf Hall of Fame
- Annika's talented sister Charlotta also played golf and even played on the LPGA. They are the only sisters to have each won $1 million on the LPGA.
- Her favorite rock band is U2 and her favorite movie is The Gladiator.
- Her good luck charm is a horseshoe she keeps in her golf bag.
- Annika's favorite activity outside of golf is cooking.
- In 2003 Sorenstam played in a men's PGA golf tournament.
- She threw out the first pitch at a New York Mets baseball game.
- She once read the Top Ten list on the Late Show with David Letterman.
Other Sports Legend's Biographies:
|Track and Field: |
Dale Earnhardt Jr.