Chris Paul Biography
Back to Sports
Back to Basketball
Back to Biographies
Chris Paul is one of the best point guards in the NBA. His skill, quickness, court vision, and great defense have made him a regular all-star and arguably the top point guard in the game of basketball.
Where did Chris Paul grow up?
Chris Paul was born in Lewisville, North Carolina on May 6, 1985. He grew up in North Carolina where he and his brother would work summers at his grandfather's gas station. He went to high school at West Forsyth High School in North Carolina where he only played varsity basketball for two seasons.
Did Chris Paul go to college?
Chris played for two years at Wake Forest University before going to the NBA.
Chris Paul in the NBA
Paul was drafted as the number 4 pick by the New Orleans Hornets in 2005. He won the Rookie of the Year his rookie season and has been named to the All-Star team several times. He has also been named to the all-defensive team three times.
During the 2009-2010 season Paul injured his knee and was out for 8 weeks after surgery. He came back, however, and finished the season strong.
Chris joined the Los Angeles Clippers in 2011.
Does Chris Paul hold any NBA records?
Yes, Chris holds many New Orleans Hornets records. He is third on the all time career assists average with 10 per game only behind Magic Johnson and John Stockton. He also is 2nd in NBA history in number of seasons leading the league in steals with 2. He holds the record for most consecutive games with a steal at 108 and also is the only player in NBA history to lead the league in steals and assists for two straight seasons.
Where did the nickname CP3 come from?
The CP in CP three comes from his initials Chris Paul. The 3 is because his dad and his brother, who also have the initials CP, are CP1 and CP2. He also wears the number 3 on his jersey.
Fun Facts about Chris Paul
Other Sports Legend's Biographies:
- He is an excellent bowler and a spokesperson for the Unites States Bowling Conference.
- Chris is small for an NBA player at 6 foot tall 175 pounds.
- When his grandfather died at age 61, Chris scored 61 points in a high school game to honor him. When he reached 61 points, he came out of the game even though he only needed 5 more points to get the all time record.
- He won an Olympic gold medal for basketball in 2008 and 2012.
- Paul played on the McDonalds All-American game with LeBron James.
- He was on the cover of the video game NBA 2k8.
- Chris is good friends with NFL New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush.