- Occupation: Football Player
- Born: May 25, 1978 in Pasco, Washington
- Best known for: Playing linebacker for the Chicago Bears
Brian Urlacher played linebacker for the NFL's Chicago Bears. He was the Defensive Player of the Year in the NFL in 2005 and was one of the best defensive players in the game. He is 6 foot 4, weighs 258 pounds, and wore the number 54.
Where did Brian Urlacher grow up?
Brian Urlacher was born in Pasco, Washington on May 25, 1978. When his parents divorced, his mom moved Brian and his brother and sister to Lovington, New Mexico
. It was in Lovington that Brian grew up and went to high school. Brian played a number of different positions for his high school football team including kick returner, defensive back, running back, and wide receiver. He was the school star in both football and basketball.
Where did Urlacher go to college?
Brian had hoped to go to Texas Tech, which was fairly close to Lovington. However, Texas Tech didn't offer him a scholarship. Instead Brian opted to go to the University of New Mexico. His first two years were uneventful as he didn't get a lot of playing time, but when he got his chance to start his junior year, Brian made the most of it. He lead the nation in tackles with 178. His senior year he continued to get better finishing 12th in the voting for the Heisman and widely considered one of the better defensive players in the nation.
Urlacher in the NFL
The Chicago Bears drafted Brian with the ninth overall pick of the 2000 NFL draft. It was a perfect match. Brian was soon starting at the middle linebacker position and quickly became the defensive leader of the team. He was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and went to the Pro Bowl. Since then he has returned to the Pro Bowl several times, set the Bears record for most tackles in a season (153), and is the all time career tackles leader for the Bears with 1,192 (as of the end of the 2010 season).
Brian retired after the 2012-2013 NFL season. He played 13 years for the Chicago Bears and made it to the Pro Bowl eight times. He was also named to the NFL 2000s All-Decade Team.
Fun Facts about Brian Urlacher
Other Sports Legend's Biographies:
- He was on the cover of the video game NFL 2K3.
- His jersey with the number 54 was the top selling NFL jersey in 2002.
- His team mates sometimes call him Grrr-lacher.
- Urlacher is a huge Chicago Cubs fan. He actually got to lead the singing of "Take me out to the ball game" at the stadium once.
- He enjoys golf and professional wrestling.
- He majored in criminology while at the University of New Mexico.