Back to Sports
Back to Tennis
Back to Biographies
Roger Federer is a professional tennis player. He is widely regarded as the best tennis player of the 2000s and perhaps the best tennis player of all time. Unlike many players who specialize in a particular surface (like clay, grass, or hard court) or are experts in serving or maybe volleying, Roger Federer is an all-around player. He has won major titles on all surfaces, has a hard serve, can volley, and can trade ground strokes with the best. He can make all the shots required in the game and do them as well as anyone. This all-around expertise and excellence in all aspects of the game is what has made him so consistently great.
Where is Roger Federer from?
Roger was born in Binningen, Switzerland on August 8, 1981. His father was Swiss and his mother South African. He fell in love with tennis at the age of 4 while watching Boris Becker win his first Wimbledon Championship. He also played football for a while, but soon found that he was an exceptional tennis player and put his full focus on tennis.
Roger turned professional in 1998 at the age of 17. He was a really good player for around 4 years at which point he started to dominate. In 2003 he won his first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon. On February 2, 2004 he became the number 1 player in the world and started his record breaking streak.
Was Roger Federer the Number 1 Ranked Tennis Player?
Yes. As a matter of fact, he was ranked the world's number one tennis player for 237 straight weeks. That's the longest anyone has ever held the number 1 ranking.
What records does Roger Federer hold?
Here are just some of his records and accomplishments:
Fun Facts about Roger Federer
- 17 Grand Slam Titles - the most ever by a male tennis player.
- Only male player to win 5 consecutive titles at two Grand Slam events (Wimbledon and the U.S. Open).
- He has won 7 Wimbledon Titles and 5 U.S. Open titles.
- He won the most matches in a row on grass: 65.
- He won at least 10 tournaments in 3 consecutive years.
- Federer won the 2008 doubles Olympic Gold Medal.
Other Sports Legend's Biographies:
- He speaks Swiss, German, French, and English fluently.
- His good luck charm is Tweety bird.
- He is married to Marka Vavrinec, a former professional tennis player.
- He founded the Roger Federer foundation which supports sports and education to children in South Africa.