Back to Sports
Back to Baseball
Back to Biographies
Albert Pujols is a Major League baseball player for the Los Angeles Angels. He played much of his career for the St. Louis Cardinals. He is considered one of the best all around baseball players in the game. He can hit for average and power and is a great fielder as well. He currently plays first base.
Since coming up to the majors in 2001, Albert Pujols has become one of the games stars. He was voted the best player of the decade by Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, and ESPN.com. He has won the Golden Glove twice, three National League MVP awards, and is very high on many all-time batting statistics even at a young age.
Where did Albert Pujols grow up?
Albert grew up in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. He was born there on January 16, 1980. When he was 16 his family moved to New York City in the United States. They then moved to Independence, Missouri where Albert starred at high school baseball. Before going to the minor leagues, he played baseball for 1 year at Maple Woods Community College.
Where did Albert Pujols play in the minor leagues?
He was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in 1999 as the 402nd pick. What a deal the Cardinals got. He played in their farm system during 2000, going from the Peoria Chiefs single-A to the Potomac Cannons to the Memphis Redbirds.
By 2001 Albert Pujols was playing in the majors. He started out at third base and played several positions his rookie year. His meteoric rise didn't stop as he was voted National League Rookie of the Year.
How many Major League teams has Albert played for?
Two. Albert has played for the St. Louis Cardinals and the Los Angeles Angels during his career.
Is Pujols right or left handed?
Albert throws and bats right handed.
Fun Facts about Albert Pujols
- In his first college game, Albert hit a grand slam and had an unassisted triple play. Wow!
- His full name is Jose Alberto Pujols Alcantara.
- He has four kids.
- He started the Pujols Family Foundation, which focuses on helping kids with Down Syndrome as well as the poor in the Dominican Republic.
- Being a Christian is a big part of Albert Pujols life. On his website he says "In the Pujols family, God is first. Everything else is a distant second."
- His jersey number is 5.
- The Boston Red Sox considered drafting Pujols in the first round, but then changed their mind. Ooops!
|Track and Field: |
Dale Earnhardt Jr.