Back to Kids Sports
Back to Kids Football
Back to Biographies for Kids
Peyton Manning is one of the best quarterbacks in the National Football League (NFL). He played the first fourteen years of his professional career for the Indianapolis Colts, but in 2012 he went to play for the Denver Broncos after sitting out a year with a neck injury.
Peyton was born on March 24, 1976 in New Orleans, Louisiana. His full name is Peyton Williams Manning. In High School Peyton played quarterback for three years. He also starred on the baseball and basketball teams. His senior year in high school, Manning was named the Gatorade National Player of the Year.
Has Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl?
Yes. In the 2006 season Peyton Manning led the Colts to the Super Bowl. They beat the Chicago Bears 29-17. Peyton was awarded the Super Bowl MVP for his outstanding play.
What number does Peyton Manning wear?
Peyton wears number 18 in the NFL. In college he wore the number 16. Tennessee retired his jersey and number in 2005.
Where did Peyton Manning go to college?
Peyton went to the University of Tennessee. Many people were very surprised at this as his dad, Archie, went to Ole Miss. Peyton, however, wanted to do his own thing and decided on Tennessee. At Tennessee Manning set the all-time SEC record for career wins with 39 wins. He also became Tennessee's all-time leading passer with 89 touchdowns and 11,201 yards. Peyton was considered one of the NCAA's best players and was drafted the #1 overall pick in the 1998 NFL draft.
Does Peyton have any famous relatives?
Peyton's younger brother, Eli Manning, is also a professional quarterback. He plays for the New York Giants and has also won a Super Bowl. Peyton's father, Archie Manning, was also a famous NFL quarterback. Peyton has an older brother, Cooper, and his mom's name is Olivia.
What NFL records and awards does Peyton hold?
Manning holds too many records and awards to list them all here, but we'll list a few of his most impressive:
Fun Facts About Peyton Manning:
- Most seasons with at least 4,000 passing yards ------ 12
- Most games with a perfect passer rating ------ 4
- NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award in 2012
- Highest career TDs/game average ------ 1.91 TDs/game
- 2007 Super Bowl MVP
- Most completions and most passing yards in a decade
- First QB to defeat all of the other 31 teams in the regular season (Tom Brady did this later the same day, and Brett Favre did it the following week)
Other Sports Legend's Biographies:
- He was on Saturday Night Live for his 31st birthday.
- He has his own charity called the PeyBack Foundation which helps disadvantaged kids in Tennessee, Indiana, and Louisiana.
- He has a children's hospital named after him called the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent. It's located in Indianapolis.
- Peyton stars in numerous TV commercials and endorses products such as Sony, DirectTV, MasterCard, Sprint, Buick, and ESPN.
Vote for your favorite US President: