Back to Sports
Back to Hockey
Back to Biographies
Wayne Gretzky is considered by many to be the greatest hockey player of all time. He played much of his NHL career with the Edmonton Oilers, but also played several seasons with the Los Angeles Kings and finished off his career at the New York Rangers. Gretzky's scoring was legendary. He Left hockey holding 40 regular season records and 15 playoff records. His nickname, "The Great One", says it all.
Wayne Douglas Gretzky was born in Brantford, Ontario Canada on January 26, 1961. He grew up playing ice hockey in his back yard with his dad, Walter, his sister, and his brothers. He was ice skating before he was three years old. Through practicing and drills his father designed, Wayne became a great hockey player at an early age. He dominated ice hockey leagues even when he was playing against much older kids.
Gretzky originally played professional hockey for Edmonton Oilers of the World Hockey Association (WHA) at the age of 17. The WHA went out of business a year later, but the Edmonton Oilers moved to the National Hockey League (NHL) and Wayne went with them. In his first year he was named the NHL MVP, which he would continue to win for the next 8 years in a row. He also tied for the scoring lead. After that Wayne never looked back and won 4 Stanley Cup championships with the Oilers.
What hockey records does Wayne Gretzky hold?
Wayne Gretzky holds many records. Here are a few of his major ones:
What made Wayne Gretzky such a great player?
- Most points in a season - 215
- Most goals in a season - 92
- Most assists in a season - 163
- Most points in a playoff - 47
- He is the only player to get more than 200 points in a season. He did this 4 times.
- He scored 894 goals; 1,963 assists; and 2,857 points in his NHL career.
At 6 feet tall and 180 pounds Wayne was not the prototypical great hockey player. He also wasn't considered very fast. Many people didn't think he would be a good NHL player at all. However, Wayne had a knack and a feel for hockey like no other player in the world. He could anticipate where players were going to be and make passes and adjustments that made it seem like he had eyes in the back of his head.
Fun Facts about Wayne Gretzky
Other Sports Legend's Biographies:
- Wayne's jersey #99 was retired by all the teams in the NHL.
- Wayne once "acted" in a soap opera called The Young and the Restless.
- He has five kids.
- He spent around 1 million dollars on his wedding.
- Wayne is coach and part owner of the Phoenix Coyotes.