The Chronicles of Narnia
Back to Books
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis is a fantasy book series for young adults and kids. Written in the 1950's the series has become one of the classic fantasy series in youth literature. The first book, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, became especially popular when Disney made it into a full length motion picture. Kids of all ages will enjoy this wonderful story.
In each book children from our world are transported to another world called Narnia. How they are transported to Narnia changes in each book. In the first book it's through a wardrobe the kids discover while playing hide and seek. In the third book they are looking at a picture of a boat when suddenly the room they are in starts to fill up with water. They soon discover they are in the sea next to the boat. In each story the children must help the Narnians overcome some evil through adventures and battles.
Narnia is a world of magic, talking animals, kings, queens, and castles. There are monsters of all sorts and many adventures to be had. Fighting is done with swords, bows and arrows, magic, teeth, and claws. Kids will love the adventure, action, and wonder of Narnia.
The primary characters do change as the series progresses. We'll cover the first few books and then it's up to you to read the rest and find out what is to come. Some characters are in several of the books.
Books in the Chronicles of Narnia Series
- Lucy Pevensie - The youngest of the children, Lucy is the first to enter the wardrobe and discover Narnia. Lucy is small, yet bold and pure of heart.
- Peter - Peter is the oldest of the children. He is heroic and brave and becomes a great fighter and king later in the stories.
- Susan - Susan is the second oldest. She is kind and beautiful.
- Edmund - Edmund is the third child. He is rash and is sometimes jealous of his older brother. He ends up making mistakes, but learns from them.
- Aslan - Aslan, a majestic lion, is the true ruler of Narnia. He seems to be all powerful, but tries let his people rule themselves.
- The White Witch - The evil ruler in the first book. She has turned much of Narnia into winter year round. She wants nothing more than to kill Aslan and be total ruler.
- Reepicheep - A brave talking mouse who wields a sharp rapier, Reepicheep is fearless and believes in chivalry. He appears in Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Last Battle.
- Prince Caspian - A prince over the Telmarine portion of Narnia, Caspian is brave and wants to do what is right. He appears in Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, and The Last Battle.
- Eustace Scrubb - Eustace first appears in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. He is a miserable child when the book starts, but (after being changed into a dragon briefly) he slowly turns into a hero we can pull for. He is the major character in The Silver Chair and returns again for The Last Battle.
- Jill Pole - Jill appears in The Silver Chair where she travels to Narnia with Eustace to help find Prince Rilian. She returns with Eustace to help in The Last Battle.
Suggested reading level:
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
- Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951)
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
- The Silver Chair (1953)
- The Horse and His Boy (1954)
- The Magician's Nephew (1955)
- The Last Battle (1956)
If you liked The Chronicles of Narnia, you may also like:
- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
- Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
Back to Books
More Book Series:
Artemis Fowl Series
Chronicles of Narnia
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Guardians of Ga'Hoole
Harry Potter Series
Lord of the Rings
The Magic Tree House
The Mysterious Benedict Society
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Ramona Quimby Series
The Secret Series
A Series of Unfortunate Events