New from Ducksters
Read our content on your eReader or mobile device with no ads.
Kids Book Series
The Lord of the Rings
Back to Kids Books
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien is a classic fantasy story that tells the epic tale of Frodo Baggins, a small but brave Hobbit, who attempts to overcome all odds to save Middle Earth. The story begins with Frodo's uncle, Bilbo Baggins, retiring and leaving their home, the Shire, to go and live with the elves. Bilbo leaves his ring with Frodo. Little does Bilbo or Frodo know the power of the ring or that the Dark Lord Sauron will do anything to recover it.
Frodo gets tasked by the power wizard Gandalf to become the bearer of the ring and to eventually destroy the ring. Frodo embarks on an epic journey full of battles with monsters of all sorts, large scale wars, deception, and adventure. He gets help from fellow hobbits and best friends Samwise, Merry, and Pippin. Also, the ranger Aragorn, the wizard Gandalf, the dwarf Gimli, and the elf Legolas assist Frodo on his journey.
This series is more adult than most we cover on Ducksters, however, it is widely read by many kids especially middle school age boys. The writing is excellent and it's one of the great stories in literature. We recommend it for middle school age kids through adults. The Hobbit is more geared for younger children. Of course, parents will want to use their discretion as to whether their child is ready for this series.
Characters in Lord of the Rings
Books in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- Frodo Baggins - Frodo Baggins is the lead character and the bearer of the ring. He is brave, honest, and loyal. He must destroy the ring.
- Gandalf - Gandalf is the most powerful wizard left in Middle Earth. He guides Frodo as well as the leaders of Middle Earth to unite against Sauron and fight. He is wise and knows he cannot possess the ring for himself as it would corrupt him.
- Samwise Gamgee - Sam is one of the true heroes in the book. His bravery and loyalty to Frodo knows no bounds. Frodo could not survive without Sam.
- Merry Brandybuck - A hobbit and Frodo's cousin. He is part of the fellowship. He is brave and organized.
- Pippin Took - A hobbit and Frodo's cousin. Pippin is brave, but manages to get into all sorts of trouble due to his curiosity.
- Aragorn - The true king of Gondor, Aragorn chooses to live as a Ranger. He is a great fighter.
- Gimli - A dwarf who is part of the Fellowship. Gimli fights with a large battleaxe and doesn't like elves (except for Legolas).
- Legolas - The elfin representative on the Fellowship, Legolas is a true shot with his bow and arrow.
- Gollum - A pathetic character who used to own the ring prior to Bilbo Baggins. All he can think of is getting the ring back. He calls the ring his "precious".
- Sauron - The source of evil in Middle Earth. He wants the one ring back so he can regain his power.
Prequel: The Hobbit
- Fellowship of the Ring
- The Two Towers
- The Return of the King
Suggested Reading level: Ages 10 and up
If you liked The Lord of the Rings, you may also like:
- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
- Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
- Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Back to Kids Books
More Kids Book Series:
Artemis Fowl Series
Chronicles of Narnia
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Guardians of Ga'Hoole
Harry Potter Series
Lord of the Rings
The Magic Tree House
The Mysterious Benedict Society
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Ramona Quimby Series
The Secret Series
A Series of Unfortunate Events