Back to Books
The Hank Zipzer series for kids by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver follows the hilarious exploits of fourth grader Hank Zipzer. The series is based on actor Henry Winkler's childhood. The lead character has dyslexia just like Winkler. The series is mostly funny and shows how anyone can eventually work through difficulties and circumstances. In case you're wondering, yes, the author is the same Henry Winkler who is an actor and played The Fonz on Happy Days.
At the start of the series Hank Zipzer is starting the fourth grade. He immediately finds himself in trouble and also gets an assignment to write five paragraphs about his summer vacation. Hank can't even begin to write five paragraphs, so instead he decides to show the class what he did on vacation. Things go very wrong for Hank and he ends up in detention. However, Hank doesn't give up and things eventually work out for him.
The rest of the series follow Hank through various funny misadventures as he progresses through school. In the 2010 book A Brand-New Me it's time for Hank to graduate fifth grade and move up to middle school. What will happen to Hank in middle school is sure to be hilarious.
- Hank Zipzer - The main character, Hank just can't seem to stay out of trouble. He likes to make lists and is creative. He has dyslexia which makes school work difficult for him.
- Frankie Townsend - Hank's best friend.
- Nick McKelty - Nick is the bully and has the nickname "the Tick".
- Leland Love - The principal of the school Hank attends.
- Ms. Adolf - Hank's teacher. She is all business.
- Ashley Wong - Good friends with both Hank and Frankie. She's probably the best athlete of the three.
- Emily Zipzer - Hank's annoying little sister.
- Stanley Zipzer - Hank's Dad.
- Randi Zipzer - Hank's Mom
- Cheerio - Hank's dog.
- 1. Niagara Falls, or Does It?
- 2. I Got a "D" in Salami
- 3. Day of the Iguana
- 4. The Zippity Zinger
- 5. The Night I Flunked My Field Trip
- 6. Holy Enchilada!
- 7. Help! Somebody Get me out of Fourth Grade!
- 8. Summer School? What Genius thought That Up?
- 9. My Secret Life as a Ping-Pong Wizard
- 10. My Dog's a Scaredy-Cat: A Halloween Tail
- 11. The Curtain Went Up, My Pants Went Down
- 12. Barfing in the Backseat: How I Survived My Family Road Trip
- 13. Who Ordered This Baby? Definitely Not Me!
- 14. Life of Me
- 15. A Tail of Two Tails
- 16. Dump Trucks and Dogsleds: I'm on My Way, Mom!
- 17. A Brand New Me!
If you liked the Hank Zipzer series, you may also like:
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney
- My Weird School Daze series by Dan Gutman
- Ramona Quimby Series by Beverly Cleary
Back to Books
More Book Series: