The Secret Series
Back to Books
The Secret Series of Books by Pseudonymous Bosch is shrouded with mystery at every turn. First are the book's titles which include The Name of this Book is Secret and This Isn't What It Looks Like. Next is the author who uses the pen name Pseudonymous Bosch and kept his real identity secret for some time. There is also the mystery as to which character in the story, if any, the narrator is. Then there is the story itself which is a fun to read, sometimes scary, mystery. What is the secret? Well, it's a secret!
Cass and Max-Ernest have been pulled into a plot by some unseen force to help foil Ms. Mauvais and Dr. L from getting the secret to immortality (or something like that we think). At the start of the first book Cass is given a mysterious box call the Symphony of Smells. Through investigating the box, Cass and Max discover a mystery they can't ignore. As the story and series unfold, Cass and Max get further entangled into the mystery of the secret. They try to keep Ms. Mauvais and Dr. L at bay while making their own discoveries and getting closer to the secret themselves.
There's plenty of suspense, mystery, and action in this series. The theme of each book is based on a different sense. The first book is smell, the second hearing, the third taste, the fourth sight, and the fifth touch. Kid readers will enjoy the book's prose, its sense of mystery, and its interesting characters.
- Cass - Full name Cassandra, Cass is the lead character in the series. She's eleven years old at the start of the series. She's a loner and a survivalist.
- Max-Ernest - Max-Ernest becomes Cass' partner in the story. He has a problem where he can't stop talking. He's eleven at the start of the series. His parents are constantly splitting up, divorcing, and getting back together.
- Yo-Yoji - A friend of Cass and Max-Ernest., Yo-Yoji is a musician.
- Ms. Mauvais and Dr. L - The bad guys in the series. They run a spa and are looking for the secret to immortality.
- Owen - An expert at disguise and accents, Owen is a spy who helps the kids.
- Pietro Bergamo - Twin brother to Dr. L. He's a good guy.
- Melanie - Cass' adopted mom.
- The Name of This Book Is Secret (2007)
- If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (2008)
- This Book Is Not Good for You (2009)
- This Isn't What It Looks Like (2010)
- This Book Is Not Yet Titled (2011)
If you liked The Secret Series, you may also like:
- The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- Savvy and Scumble by Ingrid Law
Back to Books
More Book Series: