The Hunger Games
Back to Books
The Hunger Games Series of kids books by Suzanne Collins tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who lives in North America after a great war. The world is now divided up into 12 districts that are all run by the winner of the war, the Capitol. In order to keep power over the people in the districts, the Capitol holds a contest called the Hunger Games every year. Two children are chosen at random from each district to fight to the death. The winner gets fame and fortune and their family is safe. The losers….well, it's a fight to the death. Katniss little sister Prim gets chosen, but Katniss volunteers to take her place.
***warning: spoilers below***
The first book, Hunger Games, follows Katniss and Peeta, the other kid from district 12, as they prepare and then fight in the Hunger Games. Will they survive? Will Katniss have to kill Peeta who was so kind to her as a child?
In the second book Katniss and Peeta are considered rebels and the Capitol wants to get back at them for how the first book ended. They have to enter the Hunger Games again, this time to fight against past winners. Again, they defy the Capitol setting up the finale in book three.
The third book continues where the second book left off and you find out if Katniss and Peeta can finally survive and get their revenge on the Capitol. A lot happens and the ending may be different that you expect.
These books are full of action and are an enjoyable easy read. Katniss is a great daring and strong female character. There is the subject of death and violence which parents should be aware of and may not be appropriate for young kids. We liked these books and think many middle school age kids will enjoy as well.
Books in the Trilogy
- Katniss Everdeen - The main character in the game. She is 16 at the time of the first book and is brave, resourceful, and caring.
- Peeta Mellark - Peeta is the other child from District 12 chosen to participate in the Hunger Games. He is kind and caring. Peeta has had a crush on Katniss for years and does what he can to help her.
- Haymitch Abernathy - A former winner of the Hunger Games from Katniss district. He is to instruct her and Peeta how to win and get them sponsers. He's a drunk, but ends up helping them in the end.
- Primrose Everdeen - Little sister to Katniss, Katniss will do anything to protect her including risking her life and volunteering for the dreaded Hunger Games.
- Gale Hawthorne - Katniss' childhood friend and ally.
Suggested Reading level: Ages 9-14
- Hunger Games (2008)
- Catching Fire (2009)
- Mockingjay (2010)
If you liked Hunger Games, you may also like:
Go here to see more on the Hunger Games movie.
Back to Books
More Book Series:
Artemis Fowl Series
Chronicles of Narnia
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Guardians of Ga'Hoole
Harry Potter Series
Lord of the Rings
The Magic Tree House
The Mysterious Benedict Society
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Ramona Quimby Series
The Secret Series
A Series of Unfortunate Events