Mysterious Benedict Society
Back to Books
We think most anyone will enjoy the Mysterious Benedict Society book series for kids by Trenton Lee Stewart. It's clever, fun, mysterious, and full of action. The child characters are interesting and engaging. The series has won many awards for children's fiction. There are currently three books in the series.
At the start of the first book several kids from different backgrounds are brought together and tested. After the testing, four of them (Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance) are brought together at Mr. Benedict's house. They are an odd group, but we slowly realize that each has extraordinary talents. Mr. Benedict requests the children take on a dangerous mission to save the world. They must infiltrate the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened where a evil criminal mastermind, Mr. Curtain, is trying to take over the world with his mind machine called the whisperer. The children take on the challenge and much suspense, mystery, and action follow.
Throughout the rest of the series the children must defend the world against Mr. Curtain. This is no easy task as he is as brilliant as they are and determined to do them harm.
Books in the Mysterious Benedict Society series
- Reynard Muldoon - The main character in the series and the leader of the kids in the Society. Most people call him Reynie. He's an average looking eleven year old boy, but brilliant at solving puzzles and figuring things out from just a few clues.
- Kate Wetherall - Kate, a twelve year old girl, is the athlete of the group. She's strong, fast, and agile. She's also creative at using items around her for escaping, building things, or doing whatever else may be needed. She carries a red bucket with her that has all the tools she should need. Kate is confident and bold.
- Sticky Washington - His real name is George, but most people call him sticky. He has a photographic memory and can remember anything. He's eleven years old, shy, and doesn't function well when scared or stressed.
- Constance Contraire - Constance is a small girl (you'll find out her age in the book). She constantly misbehaves and is a pain in the neck to the other kids. However, Mr. Benedict assures the kids that Constance is an important member of the team.
- Nicholas Benedict - Mr. Benedict brings the children together in order to stop Mr. Curtain from taking over the world. He has a bad case of narcolepsy and will fall asleep while standing up or talking to someone.
- Milligan - Milligan is a man of many talents who watches over the children. His memory was wiped out and we find out later that he is Kate's father.
- Number Two - An assistant to Mr. Benedict, she is brilliant herself and very seldom sleeps.
- Mr. Curtain - The bad guy. He wants to take over the world and peoples minds by using a powerful tool called the whisperer. He is Mr. Benedict's twin brother.
Suggested Reading Level: Ages 9-14
- Mysterious Benedict Society
- Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey
- Mysterious Benedict Society and Prisoner's Dilemma
If you liked the Mysterious Benedict Society, you may also like:
- The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
- The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch
- The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeane Birdsall
- The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place Series by Maryrose Wood
Back to Books
More Book Series:
Artemis Fowl Series
Chronicles of Narnia
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Guardians of Ga'Hoole
Harry Potter Series
Lord of the Rings
The Magic Tree House
The Mysterious Benedict Society
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Ramona Quimby Series
The Secret Series
A Series of Unfortunate Events