Glossary and Terms
- Art made by cutting up materials such as colored paper, string, fabric, and newspaper and then gluing them together to make a picture.
- These are colors that appear on the opposite sides of the color wheel. When placed side by side, these colors can intensify each other.
- A painting made on wet plaster of a wall or ceiling. As the plaster and paint dry the wall absorbs the paint.
- A type of oil painting when the paint is applied in very thick brush strokes.
- A type of hot oven used to bake clay into a hard permanent finish.
- A painting of nature and the land such as the ocean, mountains, trees, and sky.
- A method for making prints using a flat stone or a metal plate.
- The materials used in creating a piece of artwork such as paint, marble, clay, or pastels.
- A large painting generally painted on a wall or ceiling.
- A board where colors of paint are mixed so they are the right color for the painting. Can also refer to range of colors an artist has used in an artwork.
- Coloring sticks that can be made from oil or chalk.
- Someone who helps an artist to live while they work on their art.
- A way of painting or drawing that makes some objects appear closer than others.
- The part of the paint that gives it color.
- This is French for "open air". This is the term often used for painting outdoors.
- A drawing or painting of a person or people.
- Red, yellow, and blue. All of the other colors can be made from these three.
- A type of sculpture that looks like it is raised from the background.
- A three dimensional piece of art often carved, chiseled, or cast from stone, marble, wood, or bronze.
- A painting or drawing that the artist makes of himself.
- A number of artworks that are meant to go together. They are often of the same subject.
- A painting or drawing of inanimate objects often placed in an arrangement. Examples include flowers in a vase, fruit in a bowl, and bottles of wine.
- The balance of one side to another. In perfect symmetry, one half is an exact mirror of the other.
- The look and feel of the canvas in painting. This can vary on how the paint is applied. Other materials may be added to change the texture.
- A water soluble paint that thins as it is mixed with water.