November in History
Back to Today in History
Select the day for the month of November that you would like to see
birthdays and history:
About the Month of November
November is the 11th month of the year and has 30 days.
Season (Northern Hemisphere): Autumn
Pearl Harbor Day
World Diabetes Day
American Indian Heritage Month
Good Nutrition Month
American Diabetes Awareness Month
National Stamp Collecting Month
National Peanut Butter Lover's Month
Symbols of November
- Birthstone: Topaz and citrine
- Flower: Chrysanthemum
- Zodiac signs: Scorpio and Sagittarius
In the original Roman calendar, November was the ninth month of the year. It got its name from the Latin word "novem" which means nine. However, it became the eleventh month when the Romans added in January and February to the start of the year.
Throughout much of history, November has often been thought of as a somber month because it signaled the start of winter. People would spend the month storing up their harvest and preparing their food and homes in order to survive the winter.
November in Other Languages
- Chinese (Mandarin) - shíyiyuè
- Danish - november
- French - novembre
- Italian - novembre
- Latin - November
- Spanish - noviembre
Fun Facts about November
- Roman: November
- Saxon: Blotmonath
- Germanic: Nebel-mond (Fog month)
- It is the last month of the Fall season.
- November in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to May in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Elections are held in the United States on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
- The third Thursday of November is the Great American Smokeout. Smokers are encouraged by the American Cancer Society to stop smoking on this day.
- Some Christian churches celebrate All Saint's Day on the first day of November and All Souls Day on the 2nd.
- American football is the main sport watched in the United States during this month.
- Most, if not all, of the leaves have fallen off the trees by the end of November.
Go to another month:
Want to know what happened the year you were born? What
famous celebrities or historical figures share the same birth year as you do? Are you
really as old as that guy? Did that event really happen the year I was born? Click here for a list of
years or to enter
the year you were born.