Parents and Teachers: Support Ducksters by following us on or .
December in History
Back to Today in History
Select the day for the month of December that you would like to see
birthdays and history:
About the Month of December
December is the 12th month of the year and has 31 days.
Season (Northern Hemisphere): Winter
Read a New Book Month
Human Rights Month
Calendar Awareness Month
National Handwashing Awareness Week
National Fruit Cake Month
Symbols of December
- Birthstone: Turquoise, zircon, or tanzanite
- Flower: Narcissus or Holly
- Zodiac signs: Sagittarius or Capricorn
December was originally the tenth month of the year in the Roman calendar. It gets its name from the Latin word "decem" which means tenth. However, when the Romans added January and February to the calendar, it became the twelfth month. They still kept the name, though.
December in Other Languages
- Chinese (Mandarin) - shí'èryuè
- Danish - december
- French - décembre
- Italian - dicembre
- Latin - December
- Spanish - diciembre
Fun Facts about December
- Roman: December
- Saxon: Giuli
- Germanic: Heil-mond (Holy month)
- It is the first month of winter and the last month of the year.
- National Cookie Day is December 4th. Other snacks celebrated this month include pie, cotton candy, chocolate brownies (mmm!), cocoa, and cupcakes.
- December often marks the beginning of rain, snow, and cold weather.
- In the United States the month is associated with Christmas. There are Christmas decorations, sales, musicals, and parties. Many people spend their time Christmas shopping.
- A lot of people have days off around Christmas and before New Year's Eve.
- December in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to June in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The first day of Winter is on either December 21 or 22. This is the shortest day of the year and the longest night. It is called the Winter or Southern solstice in the Northern Hemisphere.
Go to another month:
Want to know what happened the year you were born? What
famous celebrities or historical figures share the same birth year as you do? Are you
really as old as that guy? Did that event really happen the year I was born? Click here for a list of
years or to enter
the year you were born.