Music for Kids
Some of the greatest musicians in the history of music have played the piano and written songs and compositions on the piano. We will list some (not all!) of the most famous pianists here.
- Ludwig Van Beethoven (1770 - 1827) - One of the most influential composers in music history, Beethoven was also an accomplished pianist.
- Leonard Bernstein (1918 - 1990) - Perhaps the most famous composer and conductor of the 20th century. He also was an excellent pianist where he wrote his famous Broadway, opera, and classical works such as West Side Story, Candide, and On the Town.
- Frederic Chopin (1810 - 1849) - Chopin was known as the "poet of the piano". He wrote most of his great works for solo piano play.
- Franz Liszt (1811 - 1886) - Considered by many to be the most skilled piano player of all time.
- Vladimir Horowitz (1903 - 1989) - Born in Russia, Vladimir Horowitz became one of the best piano players in the world. He was known for his use of tone color as well as the excitement and energy with which he played.
- Artur Rubinstein (1887 - 1982) - Rubinstein was born in Poland. He was known for his masterful interpretation of the great classical composers, especially Chopin.
- Ray Charles (1930 - 2004) - One of the great pioneers of soul music, Ray Charles laid the groundwork for many musicians in country, R and B, and the blues. He also paved the way for African-American artists gaining full artistic control of his music.
- Keith Emerson (1944 - ) - Keith Emerson was known for his innovative keyboard and synthesizer playing and performing. He is considered by many to be the greatest rock n' roll keyboard player.
- Elton John (1947 - ) - An English singer and piano player, Elton John has sold more than 250 million records. He is known for his wild performances playing the piano in concert as well has his many hit pop songs.
- Billy Joel (1949 - ) - An American pop singer and pianist, Billy Joel first became famous for his song Piano Man. Since then he has become one of the most popular piano players in history.
- Jerry Lee Lewis (1935 - ) - Nicknamed "The Killer", Jerry Lee Lewis was one of the first rock n' rollers to play the piano. His performances were packed with energy and hard playing piano.
- Liberace (1919 - 1987) - A pianist and entertainer Liberace was known as much for his crazy outfits as his piano playing. As a piano player, he was the highest paid entertainer in the world during the 1950s to the 1970s.
- Thelonious Monk (1917- 1982) - Monk is considered by many to be the greatest jazz pianist of all time. He was a musical genius and an innovator on the piano.
More on the piano:
Back to Kids Music Home Page