Back to Biographies
The X-Men were first introduced by Marvel Comics in 1963 in the comic book The X-Men #1. They were created by writers Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. In the X-Men some people have developed mutant powers. The powers differ from person to person depending on their mutation. Some mutants are very powerful with abilities ranging from being able to control the weather to shapeshifting. Much of the human race doesn't understand the mutants and considers them a threat. Just like people without powers, there are good mutants, bad mutants, and those in between.
Who are the X-Men?
The X-Men are a group of mutants formed by Professor Xavier. At his mansion young X-Men can train their powers while the X-Men leaders unite together to do good for humanity. Typically they are trying to defend people from evil mutants. Their arch-enemy is Magneto who has gathered his own group of mutants who believe they are superior to the rest of human race and should rule. Magneto's group of mutants is called the Brotherhood of Mutants.
They get their name from the X-gene they have which is an additional gene from normal humans that gives them their mutant powers.
Main members of the X-Men team
Fun Facts about the X-Men
- Professor Xavier - The leader of the X-men is a paraplegic and needs a wheelchair to get around. He is also extremely powerful using psychic powers to read and control other's minds.
- Cyclops - Cyclops' main power is a blast of power that shoots from his eyes. He leads the X-Men in the field. His real name is Scott Summers.
- Wolverine - His mutant ability is that he can heal very quickly from most any wound. He also has an adamantium skeleton infused into his body which, together with adamantium claws and his healing abilities, makes him very powerful. Wolverine is a troubled mutant who wants to do good but battles inner turmoil. He is usually called Logan by his fellow X-Men.
- Jean Gray - Jean has extremely powerful mental powers. She is one of the original X-Men and has a relationship with Cyclops.
- Storm - One of the most powerful X-Men, Storm can control the weather. Her real name is Ororo Iqadi T'Challa.
- Rogue - A teenage mutant, Rogue can absorb other people's strength and powers. At first she can't control her powers and they are a curse as she can't touch anyone without hurting them. Her real name is Anna Marie.
- Ice Man - Has the ability to freeze anything including his own body. His real name is Bobby Drake.
Back to Biographies
- X-Men creator Stan Lee also helped to create Spider-Man, The Avengers, The Hulk, and the Fantastic Four.
- The headquarters for the X-Men is Westchester Mansion in New York.
- Storm is from Kenya, Nightcrawler is from West Germany, Wolverine is from Canada, and Colossus is from the Soviet Union.
- Xavier uses a device called Cerebro to amplify his powers and track down mutants.
- Wolverine first appeared in the Incredible Hulk in 1974.
- Magneto was ranked number 1 on IGNs 100 Top Comic Book Villains list.
Other Superhero bios: