Parents and Teachers: Support Ducksters by following us on or .
Back to Biographies
Batman is one of the most popular superheroes in history. His first appearance was in the May 1939 issue of comic book Detective Comics from DC Comics. He is also called the Caped Crusader and the Dark Knight. His superhero partners over the years include sidekick Robin, Batgirl, police commissioner Jim Gordon, and Alfred his assistant and butler.
What are Batman's Super Powers?
Batman doesn't have any superhuman powers, but relies on high tech gear, martial arts, and high intelligence. His special gear for fighting crime is often stored in his utility belt. Items Batman can quickly retrieve from his utility belt include a grapple gun for climbing, night vision goggles, bat darts, and batarangs (similar to a boomerang but shaped like a bat).
Perhaps Batman's greatest powers come from his assortment of super vehicles. The Batmobile is a car loaded with gadgets to help catch bad guys. He also has a batcycle, batboat, and batplane.
Batman's costume also is made of special material acting like armor. His cape can spread out like wings which can be used to glide down safely from heights.
Who is Batman's Alter-ego?
Bruce Wayne is Batman's normal identity. Bruce is a wealthy Gotham City businessman. He is able to use his company's technology and money to build his Batman gear. Alfred is Bruce Wayne's butler, but also Batman's assistant.
How did Bruce Wayne become Batman?
The exact story depends on the story you are reading or movie you are watching. In the recent movie episodes Bruce Wayne's family is killed by villains. Bruce winds up in Bhutan and joins a vigilante group called the League of Shadows. It's here that Wayne becomes an expert in martial arts. Upon his return to Gotham city Bruce decides to take revenge on his parents' deaths. He uses technology from his father's company and hides out in a cave near his mansion. The cave is filled with bats. Something Bruce has been horribly frightened of since childhood. He overcomes his fear of bats and names himself Batman.
Who are Batman's Arch Enemies?
The two most famous villains are the Joker and the Penguin. Other villains include Two-Face, Poison Ivy, the Scarecrow, the Riddler, Mr. Freeze, and Catwoman.
List of Batman movies and TV shows (non-animated)
- Joker - Batman's arch enemy, he is a bit crazy and looks something like a clown. He specializes in poison and explosives.
- Penguin - The Penguin is a criminal mastermind. He usually is surrounded by henchmen, but can defend himself with his multi-function umbrella that can do many things from enabling him to fly to shooting like a gun to becoming a flamethrower.
Fun Facts about Batman
- The Dark Knight (2008)
- Batman Begins (2005)
- Return to the Batcave (2003) (TV movie)
- Batman & Robin (1997)
- Batman Forever (1995)
- Batman Returns (1992)
- Batman (1989)
- Batman the Movie (1966)
- Batman (1966-1968) (TV series)
- Batman and Robin (1949) (movie serial)
- The Batman (1943) (movie serial)
Back to Biographies
- Batman and Robin together are called the Dynamic Duo.
- The police commissioner uses a spotlight that shines a bat symbol in the sky called the batsignal when he needs Batman's help.
- In later stories, he never kills and never uses a gun.
- He is considered the greatest detective in the world.
- Bob Kane came up with the concept for Batman.
- He teamed up with Superman and they both know the other's identity.
- In 1988, fans voted to have Jason Todd, the second Robin, die.
Other Superhero bios: