Parents and Teachers: Support Ducksters by following us on or .
Back to Biographies
The Green Lantern first appeared in DC Comics' July 1940 edition of All-American Comics #16. He was created by Bill Finger and Martin Nodell. In 1941 the Green Lantern gained his own self titled comic book series.
Who is the Green Lantern's alter ego?
What are the Green Lantern's super powers?
The Green Lantern gains his super powers from his power ring. This ring can do most anything depending on the strength of will of the user and his imagination. The Green Lantern has used this ring to fly, to create a green energy which can be used in a variety of ways, to hypnotize people, to become invisible, to translate languages, to pass through solid objects, to heal, to paralyze enemies, and even to time travel.
The main weakness of the ring lies in the mental strength of the wearer. It also has a weakness against yellow objects, though this can be overcome if the wearer is strong enough.
Where did he get his powers?
The Green Lantern's powers come from his power ring. Power rings are made by the Guardians of the Universe and given only to those they deem most worthy. The original ring was made by Alan Scott who forged it from the metal of a magical green lantern.
There have been a number of Green Lantern's. Here are some of the major characters:
Who are the Green Lantern's enemies?
- Alan Scott - Alan Scott was the original Green Lantern. He was a young railroad engineer when there was a terrible train bridge collapse and he was the only survivor. He finds a green lantern than instructs him how to make a power ring from the lantern's metal. He then becomes the Green Lantern and begins to fight evil.
- Hal Jordan - Hal Jordan was a test pilot. He got his ring from an alien who had crash landed on Earth and was dying.
- Guy Gardner - Guy Gardner was a teacher for children with disabilities. He was one of two choices to get the ring from the alien, but Hal Jordan was closer. Later when Hal went into a coma, Guy got the ring and became a Green Lantern.
- John Stewart - John Stewart was an unemployed architect when he was selected to be the backup Green Lantern by the Guardians. When Guy Gardner retired, John became the primary Green Lantern.
- Kyle Rayner - Kyle was a freelance artist prior to becoming the Green Lantern. He was given the last ring of power and was chosen because he knew fear and could, therefore, resist the evils of the super-villain Parallax (Parallax had taken over Hal Jordan).
The Green Lantern has had a long list of enemies that he has overcome over the years. Some of the most notorious include Parallax, The Gambler, Sportsmaster, Vandal Savage, Puppeteer, Star Sapphire, The Controllers, and Tattooed Man.
Fun Facts about the Green Lantern
Back to Biographies
- All the Green Lanterns have been good friends with the superhero Flash.
- The character was inspired when Nodell saw an employee in the New York Subway waving a red lantern to stop traffic and a green one once the track was clear.
- Green Lantern Hal Jordan was a founding member of the Justice League of America.
- John Stewart was an African American Green Lantern.
- Star Sapphire was Green Lantern's girlfriend before she became one of his most deadly enemies.
- He says an oath to recharge his ring. Different Green Lantern's have different oaths.
Other Superhero bios: