October in History
Back to Today in History
Select the day for the month of October that you would like to see
birthdays and history:
About the Month of October
October is the 10th month of the year and has 31 days.
Season (Northern Hemisphere): Autumn
Child Health Day
National Hispanic Heritage Month (Sep 15 through Oct 15)
Italian American Heritage Month
Polish American Heritage Month
National Breast Cancer Month
National Pizza Month
National Dessert Month
Country Music Month
National Book Fair Month
Symbols of October
- Birthstone: Opal and pink tourmaline
- Flower: Calendula
- Zodiac signs: Libra and Scorpio
October was originally the eighth month of the Roman calendar. It comes from the Latin word "octo" meaning eight. Later, it became the 10th month when January and February were added to the Calendar.
The Saxons called the month Wintirfyllith because it had the first full moon of the winter season.
October in Other Languages
- Chinese (Mandarin) - shíyuè
- Danish - oktober
- French - octobre
- Italian - ottobre
- Latin - October
- Spanish - octubre
Interesting Facts about October
- Roman: October
- Saxon: Wintirfyllith
- Germanic: Wein-mond (Wine month)
- It is the second Autumn month.
- National Fire Prevention Week falls during the week of October 9 each year. It commemorates the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
- October in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to April in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The leaves of trees often begin to change their colors during this month.
- The World Series for Major League Baseball generally takes place during October.
- The NBA, National Basketball League, and the NHL, National Hockey League, both begin their seasons in October.
- There are many health observances that have October as their national month. These include Healthy Lungs, Breast Cancer, Lupus, Spina Bifida, Blindness, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- The United Kingdom celebrates the 21st as Apple Day.
Go to another month:
Want to know what happened the year you were born? What
famous celebrities or historical figures share the same birth year as you do? Are you
really as old as that guy? Did that event really happen the year I was born? Click here for a list of
years or to enter
the year you were born.