Parents and Teachers: Support Ducksters by following us on or .
August 28, 2011
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Scream (especially Chocolate)
A favorite dessert of many Americans, adults and kids alike, is ice cream. There are lots of great flavors of ice cream from the standard chocolate and vanilla to crazy flavors like Bunny Tracks and Chunky Monkey.
In a recent poll, Harris Interactive asked Americans what was their favorite flavor of ice cream. The winner was chocolate. In the poll each person got to pick their two favorite flavors. Here is the order of the top 10 favorite flavors:
Since we really like ice cream here at Ducksters, we decided to run our own poll to see what type of ice cream our visitors like. We picked the top 5 flavors from the Harris Poll for our poll.
- Cookie Dough/ Cookies and cream
- Butter Pecan/ Swiss Almond
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Rocky Road
- Peanut Butter
- Cherry Vanilla
As of the writing of this article, here are the results:
The winner at Ducksters by far is Cookies and Cream ice cream with chocolate coming in a distant second place. Of course, our poll is no where near as scientific as the Harris Poll, but it sure seems like our visitors overwhelmingly like Cookies and Cream as their favorite ice cream.
- Cookies and Cream 51%
- Chocolate 17%
- Vanilla 15%
- Mint Chocolate Chip 12%
- Butter Pecan 9%
Tip: How can you remember that the "dessert" you eat has two Ss while the sandy dry desert land has one S? Just remember that you'd always want two Scoops of ice cream. Each S stands for a scoop.
Fun Facts about Ice Cream
I'm getting hungry just writing this article. Time for some ice cream!
- The most popular day of the week to buy ice cream is on Sunday.
- The most popular ice cream topping is hot fudge or chocolate sauce. Second most popular is nuts followed by caramel and then whipped cream.
- Around 3% of people say they don't like or eat ice cream.
- President Ronald Reagan made July the National Ice Cream month with the 3rd Sunday of July being National Ice Cream Day.
- Other names for ice cream include sherbet, sorbet, gelato, and frozen custard.
- It is said that the Ancient Chinese, Persians, and Romans all ate some type of ice cream.
- The most popular way to eat ice cream is in a cup or a bowl. The second most popular is in a cone.
- The United States makes and eats the most ice cream in the world. California is the state that makes the most, followed by Indiana and then Ohio.
- The world record for the biggest sundae was made in Canada. The sundae weighed over 24 tons!
- Even though the Harris poll said people like chocolate the best and our poll rated cookies and cream the best, the highest selling ice cream by far is vanilla.