Questions on this quiz are based on information from
1. Who is the main character in the epic Greek poem the Odyssey?
2. Who wrote the Odyssey and when did he write it?
a. Homer in the 8th century BC
b. Virgil in 60 BC
c. Sophocles in 450 BC
d. Shakespeare in 1590 AD
e. Pindar in the 5th century BC
3. After what war did the Odyssey take place?
a. Persian War
b. Peloponnesian War
c. War of the Roses
d. One Hundred Years War
e. Trojan War
4. How did Odysseus and his men escape from the Cyclops?
a. They tricked the Cyclops into thinking that they were other Cyclopes
b. They put the Cyclops to sleep by feeding him a magic plant
c. They snuck away by hiding under his sheep when they went out to graze
d. They gave the Cyclops a riddle he could not solve
e. They prayed to Zeus to deliver them
5. Who was Aeolus?
a. The Cyclops who nearly killed Odysseus and his men
b. A sea monster with six heads
c. The king of the Lotus-eaters
d. The god of winds who gave Odysseus a bag filled with the winds of the world
e. A nymph who kept Odysseus captive for seven years
6. Counting the years of the Trojan War and the time it took him to travel home, how long was Odysseus away from home?
a. 1 year
b. 7 years
c. 10 years
d. 20 years
e. 50 years
7. Who was Argos in the Odyssey?
a. One of the men trying to marry Penelope
b. The god of the winds
c. A siren who tried to lure Odysseus with her song
d. A monster that killed many of the shipmates
e. The faithful dog of Odysseus who was the only one to recognize him
8. What are the names of the two monsters in the dangerous straight who tried to kill Odysseus?
a. Hydra and Cyclops
b. Scylla and Charibdis
c. Aeolus and Argos
d. Typhon and Chimera
e. Sphinx and Calypso
9. What did Odysseus do to all the suitors who were trying to marry his wife?
a. He killed them all
b. He gave them presents
c. He asked them to leave
d. He yelled at them and forced them to leave
e. He put them in prison
10. Who was Penelope?
a. A nymph who kept Odysseus captive for seven years
b. A monster with six heads and twelve arms
c. The wife of Odysseus
d. The woman who started the Trojan War
e. The leader of the Lotus-eaters
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Odyssey page at /history/ancient_greece/odyssey.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.