Biology: Mendel and Heredity
1. Which of the following is considered the basic unit of heredity?
2. What scientist is considered the father of the science of genetics?
a. Albert Einstein
b. Gregor Mendel
c. James Watson
d. Ben Franklin
e. Isaac Newton
3. What plant did Gregor Mendel use to conduct his experiments on heredity?
a. Apple trees
4. What designation did Gregor Mendel use for his parent generation of plants?
5. Which of the following was NOT a trait used by Gregor Mendel in his experiments?
a. Flower color
b. Flower position
d. Stem length
e. Pod color
6. What was interesting about the traits of the first general offspring?
a. They had traits completely different from their parents
b. They all had the same traits
c. They had exactly 50% of their parent's traits
d. All of the above
e. None of the Above
7. When writing genes in a Punnett Square, what type of letter is used for the dominant gene?
a. Upper case
d. Lower case
8. What percentage of traits reflected the dominant gene in Mendel's F2 generation of plants?
9. True or False: Mendel's work on heredity was rejected by the scientists of his time.
10. What is the name of the theory that says an offspring receives one unit of inheritance from each parent?
a. Theory of Heredity
b. Theory of Dominance
c. Theory of Genes
d. Theory of Inheritance
e. Theory of Segregation
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Biology: Mendel and Heredity page at www.ducksters.com/science/biology/mendel_and_inheritance.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.