State and Local Governments
1. Who is the leader of the state government?
a. The mayor
b. The governor
c. The president of the state
d. The vice president
e. The Secretary of State
2. What are the three branches of state government?
a. Mayor, governor, legislator
b. Borough, county, municipality
c. County, city, and local
d. Executive, judicial, and legislative
e. District, regional, and capital
3. True or False: The powers and responsibilities between city governments and county governments are always the same in every state.
4. What does it mean to have a bicameral legislature?
a. It means that there are cameras in the legislature where people can watch debates on TV.
b. It means that the legislature has both men and women members.
c. It means that there are two houses, or groups, that make up the legislature. Like the Senate and the House.
d. It means that the members of the legislature can work from home and telecommute.
e. It means that the governor is leader over the members of the legislature.
5. Which branch of government has the Supreme Court and lower courts to try cases?
a. The Judicial
b. The County
c. The Executive
d. The City
e. The Legislative
6. Which of the following is typically not a member of the executive branch of state government?
b. Secretary of State
c. Lieutenant Governor
d. Chief Justice
e. All of the above
7. What is the main way that states and local governments get money to run the government?
a. Tariffs on imports
b. Parking and speeding ticket fines
c. Selling raffle tickets at the local fairs
d. Auctioning off stolen merchandise
8. When you buy something at the store, a tax is added in that goes to the local government. What is this tax called?
a. Income tax
b. Sales tax
c. Property tax
d. Medicare tax
e. Store tax
9. Which of the following is NOT something that state and local governments provide?
c. The army
e. Fire department
10. What is the tax called that you pay each year when you own a piece of land or a home?
a. Property tax
b. Sales tax
c. Income tax
d. Gas tax
e. Import tax
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the State and Local Governments page at /history/us_state_and_local_governments.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.