Questions on this quiz are based on information from
1. What function did Ellis Island have in the early 1900s?
b. Army base
c. Immigration station
d. Wildlife preserve
e. Home of New York University
2. True or False: Ellis Island had its own power station, hospital, and cafeteria.
3. Around how many immigrants came through Ellis Island between 1892 and 1924?
b. 1 million
c. 2 million
d. 4 million
e. 12 million
4. Who was the first immigrant to arrive at Ellis Island?
a. Joni Mitchell
b. Annie Moore
c. Jane Doe
d. Arthur Ellis
e. Albert Einstein
5. Around how long did it take for people who passed to get through the tests and inspections?
a. 10 to 15 minutes
b. 30 minutes
c. 1 hour
d. 3 to 5 hours
e. 2 weeks
6. Which of the following was another name used for Ellis Island?
a. Island of Hope
b. Gibbet Island
c. Gull Island
d. Island of Tears
e. All of the above
7. What happened to people who didn't pass the inspections?
a. They were sent back home
b. They had to wait another day or two to get through
c. They were shipped to the south
d. They became slaves
e. They stayed on the island forever
8. Who owns Ellis Island today?
a. Donald Trump
b. New York city government
c. Federal government
d. Bill Gates
9. Which of the following was NOT mentioned as a test or inspection for immigrants by the article?
a. They had to read
b. They had to pass a medical exam
c. They had to have some money
d. They had to recite the Declaration of Independence
e. They had to show they could support themselves
10. What did the island serve as during the War of 1812?
a. Capital city of the U.S.
b. A fort
c. A farm
d. A prison
e. A trash dump
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Ellis Island page at /history/us_1800s/ellis_island.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.