1. Before the Renaissance, what was the primary subject of paintings during the Middle Ages?
b. Kings and Queens
e. Greek Mythology
2. What period of Renaissance art featured artists such as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo?
a. Proto period
b. Early period
c. High period
d. French period
e. Northern period
3. What were the characteristics of paintings and art during the Early Renaissance Period?
a. Symmetry and perfect form
b. Abstract and flat
c. Symbolism and lack of perspective
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
4. What does realism mean when referring to paintings and art?
a. That the painting is flat with little perspective
b. That the subjects and background appear as they would in real life
c. That the paintings are landscapes of nature with no people
d. That the subjects are only people
e. All of the above
5. What artistic technique makes some objects in a picture look further away than others?
6. True or False: Artists from the Renaissance refused to paint pictures on the subject of religion or Christianity.
7. What artistic technique that blurred the lines between subjects was used by Leonardo da Vinci in the Mona Lisa?
8. What was foreshortening?
a. When artists painted people shorter than they really were
b. A way of making people look taller than they really were
c. When artists used shadow and light to make things appear more dramatic
d. A technique where artists shortened lines in their paintings to give the illusion of depth
e. An ingredient used when baking
9. Which artist below did NOT work during the High Renaissance period?
c. Da Vinci
e. All of the above
10. What was the idea or philosophy that changed the way people thought and, therefore, influenced art during the Renaissance?
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Renaissance Art page at www.ducksters.com/history/renaissance_art.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.