Trail of Tears
1. Where were the Native American tribes forced to march during the Trail of Tears?
2. What law was passed in 1830 that forced the tribes out of the Southern United States?
a. Indian Civil Rights Act
b. Indian Removal Act
c. Social Security Act
d. Homestead Act
e. Indian Reservation Act
3. True or False: Most Native Americans were excited to leave their homeland and go somewhere new.
4. What was the first tribe that was forced to leave the South in 1831?
5. How much did the U.S. pay for the homeland of the Cherokee people?
d. $5 million
e. $55 million
6. What general led the soldiers who forced the Cherokee off their land?
a. Winfield Scott
b. Robert E. Lee
c. George Washington
d. Ulysses S. Grant
e. George Custer
7. Around how many Cherokee people died during the Trail of Tears?
8. What U.S. president convinced some Cherokee leaders to sign a treaty selling their land?
a. Abraham Lincoln
b. Andrew Jackson
c. William Henry Harrison
d. John Adams
e. Thomas Jefferson
9. Around how many Choctaw people were forced to leave their homeland?
10. True or False: Much of the new land promised the Native Americans was later taken away by the U.S. government.
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Trail of Tears page at /history/native_americans/trail_of_tears.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.