Inca Empire - Machu Picchu
1. In what modern-day country is Machu Picchu located?
2. Around how many people lived in Machu Picchu?
3. True or False: The Spanish discovered Machu Picchu in the 1500s and destroyed most of its buildings.
4. Which of the following best describes the geography of where Machu Picchu is located?
a. High in the mountains
b. On the coast of the ocean
d. Rain forest
e. On an island
5. Machu Picchu was part of what empire?
a. Egyptian Empire
b. Inca Empire
c. Aztec Empire
d. Maya Empire
e. Assyrian Empire
6. When do archeologists estimate that Machu Picchu was built?
a. 200 AD
b. 400 AD
c. 800 AD
d. 1450 AD
e. 1800 AD
7. What is Machu Picchu's nickname?
a. Cloud City
b. City of the Air
c. Floating City
d. Cliff City
e. Lost City
8. What was the purpose of the Intihuatana?
a. It captured the souls of the dead and sent them to the underworld
b. It was the area where the commoners lived
c. It held the sun in place and kept it on its correct path
d. It was a palace for the king to spend the cold winters
e. It prevented the god of the sky from sending lightning against the city
9. True or False: Machu Picchu is one of the most popular tourist destinations in all of Peru.
10. Which of the city districts was where the commoners lived and supplies were stored?
a. Sacred district
b. Popular district
c. District of priests
d. District of nobility
e. All of the above
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Inca Empire - Machu Picchu page at www.ducksters.com/history/inca/machu_picchu.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.