The Declaration of Independence
1. What famous founding father wrote the first draft of the Declaration of Independence?
a. George Washington
b. Thomas Jefferson
c. John Adams
d. Samuel Adams
e. John Hancock
2. In the final voting by the Continental Congress to approve the Declaration, one colony chose not to vote. Which colony was it?
a. New York
b. North Carolina
3. What was the date that the Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence?
a. December 16, 1773
b. April 18, 1775
c. July 4, 1776
d. December 25, 1776
e. June 14, 1777
4. What was the name of the group that the Continental Congress chose to write the Declaration?
a. The Declarers
b. The Founding Fathers
c. The Independent Writers
d. The Elegant Trio
e. The Committee of Five
5. Who was NOT a member of the Committee of Five?
a. Thomas Jefferson
b. John Adams
c. Roger Sherman
d. George Washington
e. Ben Franklin
6. What did the Continental Congress do with the Declaration once they had signed it?
a. Made copies to send to the colonies
b. Had it published in newspapers
c. Sent a copy to the King of England
d. All of the above
e. Kept it secret for over a year
7. Which of the following statements is true about what was included in the Declaration of Independence?
a. The Bill of Rights
b. A list of bad things that the King of England had done to the colonies
c. A list of the three branches of government
d. A threat that the colonies would take over the country of Britain if the King did not stop the fighting
e. That the first President of the United States was George Washington
8. What two signers of the Declaration of Independence would later become President of the United States?
a. Ben Franklin and John Hancock
b. George Washington and Ben Franklin
c. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams
d. John Adams and Benjamin Harrison
e. John Hancock and Thomas Jefferson
9. Who was the first to sign the document with a big signature nearly five inches long?
a. John Hancock
b. Thomas Jefferson
c. Ben Franklin
d. John Adams
e. Benjamin Harrison
10. Which of the following statements is a famous quote from the Declaration of Independence?
a. FIRST, We have granted to God, and by this our present Charter have confirmed
b. We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union
c. Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation
d. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal
e. If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the The Declaration of Independence page at /history/declaration_of_independence.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.