Washington Crossing the Delaware
1. Why did Washington lead his troops across the Delaware River?
a. To escape from British forces
b. Because it was warmer on the other side
c. To attack and capture British forces in Trenton
d. In order to get most of his soldiers home in time for Christmas dinner
e. Because he knew it would be easy
2. Why was the British army of Hessian soldiers so surprised by the attack?
a. Because it was Christmas
b. Because it was cold and snowy
c. Because it was dangerous to cross the Delaware River
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
3. Besides George Washington, what future president of the United States was a member of the Continental Army during the crossing?
a. John Adams
b. Abraham Lincoln
c. Thomas Jefferson
d. Zachary Taylor
e. James Monroe
4. What country did the Hessian soldiers come from?
5. About how many prisoners did the Continental Army capture during the attack?
6. Why was Washington`s successful crossing of the Delaware River and victory over the British so important to the Americans?
a. Because the Continental Army had been pushed out of New York and New Jersey and it appeared they were going to be defeated
b. Because many of the American soldiers were wounded or getting ready to leave the army and they needed a victory desperately for moral
c. Because winter was approaching
d. Because the entire war effort was struggling and the revolution needed a boost to moral
e. All of the above
7. True or False: The Americans suffered many deaths at the Battle of Trenton?
8. How many times did the army have to cross the Delaware River?
9. What made the second crossing of the river even more difficult than the first?
a. Nothing, there was no second crossing
b. They had to take the prisoners, stores, and weapons they had captured back across the river
c. Half of the boats sunk on the first crossing, so many of the soldiers had to swim
d. Their boats ran out of gas, so they had to row back
e. It was actually easier because they had fewer bullets to carry
10. What colony did the Continental Army take back from the British after crossing the river a final time and pushing back the British army?
d. New Jersey
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Washington Crossing the Delaware page at /history/crossing_the_delaware.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.