Civil War - Submarines
1. True or False: Both the North and the South used submarines during the Civil War?
2. What did the Union primarily use submarines for?
a. Sinking ships
b. Launching missiles into enemy forts
c. Removing underwater obstructions
d. Transporting troops
e. The Union did not use submarines
3. Around how long was the H.L. Hunley submarine?
a. 5 feet
b. 40 feet
c. 100 feet
d. 200 feet
e. 400 feet
4. How many people made up the typical crew of the H.L. Hunley?
5. What was the first Union submarine called?
a. H.L. Hunley
b. USS Red October
d. USS Alligator
e. USS Triton
6. True or False: The inventor of the H.L. Hunley, Horace Hunley, died when the Hunley sunk for the second time.
7. What was the main goal of the submarines of the Confederacy?
a. Transporting troops
b. Carrying supplies to the front
c. Spying on the enemy navy
d. Attacking enemy forts
e. Sinking enemy ships
8. How did the men in a submarine know that they were running out of air?
a. From the air gauge instruments
b. When the candle started to go out
c. When they couldn't breathe
d. They never ran out of air
e. None of the above
9. What was the main weapon of the H.L. Hunley?
a. Nuclear missile
b. Self-propelled torpedo
c. Spar torpedo
d. Cruise missile
e. All of the above
10. True or False: The H.L. Hunley sunk over 12 Union ships during the Civil War.
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Civil War - Submarines page at /history/civil_war/submarines_h_l_hunley.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.