1. Where was Frederick Douglass born?
2. Which of the following best describes Frederick Douglass' life as a child?
a. A happy childhood growing up with family
b. A free child who worked hard on his parents farm
c. A rich child who went to the best schools
d. A slave who moved and hardly knew his parents
e. None of the above
3. How did Frederick Douglass learn to read?
a. His master taught him how
b. He mostly taught himself
c. He went to the local school
d. He learned from the other slaves
e. His mother taught him how
4. True or False: Slave owners were encouraged to educate their slaves and teach them how to read and write.
5. What disguise did Frederick Douglass use during his escape from slavery?
6. When did Frederick Douglass take the last name 'Douglass'?
a. He was born with it
b. When he was seven
c. When he finished writing his first book
d. After he became a free man
e. After the Civil War
7. What did abolitionists want to put an end to?
a. Alcoholic beverages
b. Eating meat
d. The Civil War
e. The Union of the United States
8. What famous convention did Frederick Douglass attend in Seneca Falls, New York?
a. The first women's rights convention
b. The abolitionists convention
c. The black freemen convention
d. The Thirteenth Amendment convention
e. The first convention for Native American rights
9. What did President Lincoln do in order to protect black soldiers in the Civil War?
a. He agreed that black soldiers would not fight on the front lines
b. He refused to allow black soldiers to fight
c. He gave them the best weapons and uniforms
d. He warned the South that for every Union prisoner killed, he would execute a rebel soldier
e. He did nothing
10. What U.S. President did Frederick Douglass work with to help get black men the right to vote?
a. Abraham Lincoln
b. Lyndon B. Johnson
c. Andrew Jackson
d. Teddy Roosevelt
e. Andrew Johnson
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Frederick Douglass page at www.ducksters.com/history/civil_rights/frederick_douglass.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.