Ancient Egyptian Mummies
1. What is a mummy from Ancient Egypt?
a. A scary monster that walks around with its hands held out
b. A preserved body of the dead
c. Someone who takes care of you when you are young
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
2. What is the process called that the Ancient Egyptians used to preserve the dead?
3. What was natron and how was it used in the mummification process?
a. A type of cloth used to cover the body before it was buried
b. A sticky substance used to glue the wrappings to the body
c. A salty crystal substance that helped to dry out the body
d. A special type of tomb where the bodies of the royals were buried
e. A thick cloth used to pack the body and keep it from collapsing
4. About how many mummies were estimated to have been buried in the history of Ancient Egypt?
d. 2 million
e. 70 million
5. What happened to the brain when they were preserving the organs of the body?
a. It was dried out and put back into the skull
b. It was thrown away
c. It was preserved separately with the heart
d. It was the only organ preserved as it was sacred
e. Nothing, they just left it there
6. About how long did it take to preserve a mummy for burial?
a. 2 hours
b. 3 days
c. 10 days
d. 40 days
e. 1 year
7. What happened to the mummies of ancient Egypt?
a. They were ground up into dust to make magic potions
b. They were burned for fuel by grave robbers
c. Some survived and you can see them in museums today
d. The were destroyed by treasure hunters
e. All of the above
8. Why did the Egyptians bother to preserve their dead?
a. They wanted to have the bodies around to help remember the dead
b. They were hoping that the bodies could be cured in the future
c. They believed their bodies were needed for the afterlife
d. Out of respect for their elders
e. To someday have an army of walking dead that could take over the world
9. What were the two parts of the person that the Egyptians wanted to unite in the afterlife?
a. The ba and ka
b. The yin and yang
c. The alpha and omega
d. The inner and outer
e. The upper and lower
10. What do we call the sheet that was placed over the mummy before it was buried?
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Ancient Egyptian Mummies page at /history/ancient_egyptian_mummies.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.