Patriots and Loyalists
1. What was a patriot during the Revolutionary War?
a. A person who liked to ride horses into battle
b. A football player out of Boston, Massachusetts
c. A volunteer soldier who was ready to fight at a short notice
d. A person who wanted independence from Great Britain
e. A person who wanted the colonies to remain a part of the country of Great Britain
2. What was the main reason that the colonies wanted their independence from Britain?
a. They were being taxed by Britain without representation
b. They thought English people were stuffy
c. They did not want to drink English tea any more
d. They liked the French better
e. They thought it would be fun to make their own country
3. Who of the following people was NOT a famous patriot?
a. George Washington
b. John Adams
c. Samuel Adams
d. Ethan Allen
e. King George III
4. What was another name for Loyalist?
c. The King`s Friend
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
5. What was a loyalist during the Revolutionary War?
a. A person who remained loyal to the Continental Congress even when the war was going poorly
b. A member of the Sons of Liberty
c. A person living in the American colonies who wanted to stay a part of Great Britain
d. Any colonial who lived south of the colony of Pennsylvania
e. A person who emigrated from any other country than Great Britain
6. What famous loyalist was a general in the Continental army before he became a traitor and went over to the British?
a. George Washington
b. Benedict Arnold
c. John Adams
d. Horatio Gates
e. William Howe
7. True or False: Life for the loyalists was easy during the Revolutionary War.
8. What was another name for the patriots?
9. What American city was known as the Tory capital of America?
e. New York City
10. True or False: Most of the loyalists stayed in the United States after the Revolutionary War had ended.
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Patriots and Loyalists page at /history/american_revolution/patriots_and_loyalists.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.