1. James Buchanan was the _______ President of the United States.
2. Who was James Buchanan's wife?
a. He never married
b. Sarah Childress
c. Margaret Mackall Smith
d. Abigail Powers
e. Jane Means Appleton
3. Who was the Vice President of the United States under James Buchanan?
a. William Rufus De Vane King
b. John Cabell Breckinridge
c. George Dallas
d. Millard Fillmore
4. What was James Buchanan's nickname?
a. Last of the Whigs
b. Handsome Frank
c. Ten-Cent Jimmy
d. Young Hickory
e. Old Rough-and-Ready
5. Where was James Buchanan born?
d. New York
6. What was James Buchanan's occupation before he entered politics?
7. What political office did James Buchanan hold before becoming President of the United States?
a. Member of the House of Representatives
c. U.S. Ambassador to Great Britain
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
8. What Supreme Court ruling said that the federal government could not restrict slavery in U.S. territories?
a. California ruling
b. Dred Scott ruling
c. Kansas-Nebraska ruling
d. Harriet Tubman ruling
e. Western Land ruling
9. What did James Buchanan do when several southern states seceded from the Union?
a. He declared war
b. He seized their land
c. He demanded they return
d. He resigned from the presidency
10. To what incoming president did Buchanan say he was 'the happiest man on Earth' to be leaving the White House?
a. Franklin Pierce
b. Millard Fillmore
c. Abraham Lincoln
d. Andrew Johnson
e. Ulysses S. Grant
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the James Buchanan page at www.ducksters.com/biography/uspresidents/jamesbuchanan.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.