Chester A. Arthur
1. Chester A. Arthur was the _______ President of the United States.
2. Who was Chester A. Arthur's wife?
a. Ellen Lewis Herndon
b. Frances Folsom
c. Caroline Lavinia Scott
d. Ida Saxton
e. Edith Kermit Carow
3. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Chester A. Arthur?
a. Garret Hobart and Theodore Roosevelt
b. Charles Warren Fairbanks
c. Thomas Hendricks and Adlai Stevenson
d. Levi Morton
4. What was President Chester A. Arthur 's nickname?
a. Idol of Ohio
b. Trust Buster
c. Elegant Arthur
d. Uncle Jumbo
e. Little Ben
5. Where was President Chester A. Arthur born?
b. New York
e. New Jersey
6. What job did Chester A. Arthur have before he became President of the United States?
b. Vice President
c. Customs collector at the Port of New York City
d. Quartermaster general
e. All of the above
7. President Chester A. Arthur was considered an abolitionist. What does it mean to be an abolitionist?
a. It means he was an expert fisherman
b. It means he liked to dress in fancy clothes
c. It means he hired people who supported him politically
d. It means he wanted to make slavery illegal
e. None of the above
8. How did Chester A. Arthur become President of the United States?
a. He was elected
b. President James Garfield was assassinated
c. President James Garfield got sick and died
d. President James Garfield resigned
e. President James Garfield was impeached
9. What did the Pendleton Act do?
a. Increased funding for Native American education
b. Allowed for new ships to be built for the navy
c. Insured that government jobs were filled based on merit
d. Took land from Native Americans
e. Set regulations on the clothing industry
10. How did President Chester A. Arthur die?
a. From a fatal kidney disease
b. He was assassinated
c. He caught a cold during his inauguration
d. He was shot in battle
e. He ate a contaminated snack of buttermilk and cherries
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Chester A. Arthur page at www.ducksters.com/biography/uspresidents/chesteraarthur.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.