Physics: Basics of Sound
1. Sound is a type of ______.
2. What does sound need in order to travel?
3. True or False: Sound travels faster in water than in air.
4. What do we call the loud noise made by airplanes when they exceed the speed of sound?
a. Mach 1
b. Sound boom
c. Mach sound
d. Sound blast
e. Sonic boom
5. In which medium will sound travel the fastest?
e. Sound travels the same speed in all mediums
6. What is the speed of sound in dry air?
a. 100 mph
b. 453 mph
c. 768 mph
d. 1,078 mpg
e. Around 5 million mph
7. True or False: Most passenger airplanes travel at around two times the speed of sound.
8. What do we call the matter that is used to transport a sound wave?
9. What unit of measure is used to measure the loudness of sound?
10. True or False: Loud sounds over a long period of time can damage your hearing.
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Physics: Basics of Sound page at www.ducksters.com/science/sound101.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.