Chemistry: Naming Compounds
1. What suffix is used on the second element in a two element compound?
2. What is the name for the compound CO2?
a. Carbon Dioxide
b. Carbon Monoxide
c. Dicarbon Oxide
d. Dicarbon Oxate
e. Carbon Oxide
3. How would you write the chemical formula for the compound dinitrogen monoxide?
4. What prefix is used if there are three atoms of an element in a given compound?
5. If a compound is made from a metal element and a non-metal element, which element goes first in the name?
a. Non-metal element
b. Metal element
c. It's alphabetical
d. It's based on their position in the Periodic Table
6. If a compound is made from two non-metal elements, which element goes first in the name?
a. It's alphabetical
b. The element with the highest atomic number
c. The element to the right of the Periodic table
d. The element with the shortest name
e. The element to the left of the Periodic table
7. What prefix is used if there are two atoms of an element in a given compound?
8. What is the name for the compound S3N2?
a. Disulfur trinitride
b. Tetrasulfur dinitride
c. Sulfur dinitride
d. Trisulfur dinitride
e. Tetrasulfur trinitride
9. What suffix is used by hydro acids?
10. What is the common name for the compound dihydrogen monoxide?
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Chemistry: Naming Compounds page at www.ducksters.com/science/chemistry/naming_chemical_compounds.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.