Earth Science: Desert Biome
1. What is the main characteristic that makes a biome a desert?
a. Sand dunes
b. High temperatures
d. Lack of rain
e. Lots of snakes
2. What is the largest hot desert in the world?
a. Gobi Desert
b. Sahara Desert
c. Arabian Desert
d. Mojave Desert
e. Great Basin Desert
3. What does it mean when animals are described as nocturnal?
a. They don't need a lot of water
b. They are warm-blooded
c. They sleep during the day and come out at night
d. They hibernate during the winter
e. They have an internal cooling system that helps them survive in the desert
4. Where do many desert animals sleep during the day?
a. In burrows under the ground
b. On warm rocks to stay heated
c. In the shade of cactus plants
d. On the sand
e. None of the Above
5. Where do camels store up fat so they can go without water for long periods of time?
a. In their tails
b. In their stomachs
c. In their hump
d. In their shoulders
e. Along their sides
6. How have plants adapted to survive in the desert?
a. They store water in their leaves and trunks
b. They spread out from each other
c. They have large root systems to collect water
d. They have sharp spines to protect them from animals
e. All of the above
7. True or False: Most hot deserts stay hot through the night rarely dropping below 100 degrees F.
8. What term is used to describe the growing in size of the world's deserts?
a. Sand expansion
b. Drying Earth
c. Climate change
e. Global warming
9. What does it mean when a plant is called a succulent?
a. It tastes really good
b. It defends itself from animals with spiny barbs
c. It stores water in its stems
d. It reproduces using flowers
e. It grows in the desert
10. True or False: Many animals in the desert get all the water they need from the food they eat.
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Earth Science: Desert Biome page at www.ducksters.com/science/ecosystems/desert_biome.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.