Back to Holidays
What does Read Across America Day celebrate?
Read Across America Day
Read Across America Day is a day to celebrate the joys of reading. It also brings awareness to the importance of reading in education and helps to motivate kids to read more.
We LOVE reading here at Ducksters. It's one of our favorite hobbies and activities. Reading can be a great entertainment and lots of fun. Go here if you are looking for a good book or book series
When is Read Across America Day celebrated?
March 2nd. This is also the birthday of Dr. Seuss
Who celebrates this day?
Schools and children across the United States celebrate this day. Teachers and librarians take the day as a special time to focus on the joys of reading.
What do people do to celebrate?
Schools and libraries do all sorts of things to celebrate. They may have book reading contests or hold book fairs where kids can find new books to read. Some teachers even hold a birthday party for Dr. Seuss where they have birthday cake and read some of his books out loud.
Things You Can Do on this Day
History of Read Across America Day
- Make a pledge to read more. You may even make a pledge to read a certain number of books over the next few months.
- Try out a new author or book series. Ask your friends about books and authors they like and then give something new a try.
- If you are in middle school, volunteer to be a reading buddy for a kid in elementary school. It can be fun to help someone else learn to read!
- Dress up like the Cat in the Hat. Could be fun! You could also do a craft and make a hat like the Cat in the Hat from the book.
- Make a bookmark using your favorite book as the theme.
- Start a book club with a bunch of your friends and family. Get your mom and dad to join too.
The idea for a day to celebrate reading was first thought up by a group called the National Education Association, also called the NEA. They first brought up the idea to have a special reading day in 1997. A lot of people really liked the idea and just a year later, in 1998, the first Read Across America Day was held.
They decided to have the day on Dr. Seuss birthday. Dr. Seuss is one of the great authors of children's books. Most kids have grown up reading his many entertaining books such as Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, The Lorax, and Horton Hears a Who!
Fun Facts About Read Across America Day
Read Across America Day (Dr. Seuss Birthday
- Research shows that if you read more, you will do better in school. A good reason to keep practicing reading!
- Movie stars from The Lorax movie, Zac Efron and Danny DeVito, took part in the Read Across America kickoff in 2012. They both read from Dr. Seuss books.
- Unfortunately, around 40% of school-age children are considered poor readers.
- Singer Taylor Swift took part in the Read for Trees program which was a part of the day in 2012.
- The average person reads around 200 to 250 words per minute.
- If you want to be smart and successful, reading is a great place to start. It's fun too!
Saint Patrick's Day
Daylight Saving Day
Back to Holidays