The United States Flag
1. What day is celebrated in the United States each year on June 14?
a. Independence Day
b. Veterans Day
c. Flag Day
d. Labor Day
e. Memorial Day
2. Who is thought to have sewn the first version of the United States flag?
a. Martha Washington
b. Betsy Ross
c. Thomas Jefferson
d. Abigail Adams
e. Deborah Read
3. How many red and white stripes does the US flag have?
4. What did the thirteen stars in the blue field of the first US flag represent?
a. The thirteen signees of the Declaration of Independence
b. The thirteen men who wrote the constitution
c. The thirteen battles of the Revolutionary War
d. The thirteen ideals of democratic government
e. The thirteen American colonies
5. In the official US flag, what is the blue part in the upper left called?
a. The Union
b. The Ocean
c. The Continent
d. The Navy
e. The Sky
6. How many stars are in the blue field of the current US flag?
a. There are still 13
b. 27, one for each amendment to the Constitution
c. 50, one for each state
d. 55, one for each state and territory
e. 100, one for each Senator
7. Which of the following are rules of flag etiquette?
a. The flag should never touch the ground
b. Where the flow should be flown
c. How the flag should be flown
d. The flag should be lit up if flown at night
e. All of the above
8. Who wrote the National Anthem about a flag that was flown during the War of 1812 called The Star Spangled Banner?
a. Betsy Ross
b. Francis Scott Key
c. Ben Franklin
d. Katherine Lee Bates
e. Irving Berlin
9. Which of the following is a nickname for the US flag?
a. Old Glory
b. Union Jack
c. Stars and Bars
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
10. True or False: The US flag has never changed since it was first designed in 1777.
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the The United States Flag page at /history/united_states_flag.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.