The Continental Congress
1. Which of the following was an action taken by the First Continental Congress?
a. They declared war on Britain.
b. They made George Washington the first President of the United States.
c. They sent a letter to the King of Britain asking him to stop enforcing the Intolerable Acts.
d. They created an army led by George Washington.
e. They name Philadelphia the capital of the United States.
2. What year did the First Continental Congress meet?
3. Who was president of the First Continental Congress?
a. Peyton Randolph
b. George Washington
c. Ben Franklin
d. John Adams
e. Thomas Jefferson
4. What major event occurred to cause the British Parliament to enact the Intolerable Acts on Boston?
a. The Boston Massacre
b. The colonies issued the Declaration of Independence
c. The Battles of Lexington and Concord
d. The Crossing of the Delaware by George Washington`s army
e. The Boston Tea Party
5. When did the Second Continental Congress meet?
a. Only for a few days in 1775
b. Between May 1775 and March 1781
c. Throughout most of 1774
d. After the Revolutionary War was over
e. They started meeting during the Revolutionary War and still meet today
6. Where did the Second Continental Congress first meet?
a. At the State House in Philadelphia
b. In a church in Boston
c. The Capital Building in Washington, DC
d. At Thomas Jefferson`s house in Virginia
e. In a secret hideout somewhere in Delaware
7. In what way did the Second Continental Congress act like a government?
a. They created an army
b. They sent ambassadors to foreign countries
c. They printed their own money
d. They took loans from other countries
e. All of the above
8. Which of the following was NOT an action taken by the Second Continental Congress?
a. They passed the Articles of the Confederation creating a formal government of the United States
b. They created the Continental Army led by George Washington
c. They passed the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights
d. They issued the Declaration of Independence
e. They voted in an official flag of the United States
9. What famous patriot wanted the official symbol of the United States to be the turkey?
a. Thomas Jefferson
b. John Adams
c. George Washington
d. Ben Franklin
e. John Hancock
10. What major event started the Revolutionary War and occurred between the First and Second Continental Congress?
a. The Boston Tea Party
b. The Battle of Lexington and Concord
c. The Intolerable Acts
d. The Battle of Yorktown
e. The Olive Branch Petition
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the The Continental Congress page at /history/continental_congress.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.