Collapse of the Soviet Union
1. Which leader of the Soviet Union instituted the reforms of glasnost and perestroika?
a. Nikita Kruschev
b. Mikhail Gorbachev
c. Joseph Stalin
d. Leonid Brezhnev
e. Vladimir Lenin
2. What reforms did glasnost bring to the Soviet Union?
a. Openness of the government
b. Accountability of government officials
c. Some freedom of speech
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
3. What did perestroika mean?
4. True or false: The economy of the Soviet Union immediately improved with the new reforms to the government and the market.
5. What war came to an end as a result of the collapse of the Soviet Union?
a. The Vietnam War
b. The Soviet Afghanistan War
c. The Cold War
d. World War II
e. World War I
6. What year did the Soviet Union finally collapse and separate into a number of different countries?
7. What did Soviet hardliners try to do that caused the government to collapse a few months later?
a. They had Gorbachev killed
b. They tried to take over Poland with military force
c. They refused to work and asked the people to strike
d. They went on television saying that the country was in bad trouble
e. Take over the country by kidnapping Gorbachev
8. How many different countries did the Soviet Union divide into when it dissolved?
9. Which of the following countries was NOT one of the countries formed out of the former Soviet Union?
10. Which country was considered to be the successor country of the Soviet Union in regards to its military and position in the United Nations?
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Collapse of the Soviet Union page at /history/cold_war/collapse_soviet_union.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.